Axle problems

Hi hope you can shed some light on a problem.....

broke a cv joint at the weekend, striped the swivels down and as usual picked the wrong one first, however the half shaft on the un-broken side will not come out of the axel case ,it stops with what seems to be about 90 mm of shaft left inside ,it isnt broken cos i can feel it engage in the diff, if it makes any difference it's the off side one.

also whats the strongest cv joint ive got a four pin diff and ashcroft half shafts.

have tried very hard comes to a very definite stop

Only these seal can stop the half shaft.

dscf1554yn4.jpg

Look inside axel, it is a clear and big tube.

dscf1550qa3.jpg

Probably your dif has broken and the half shaft is fixed to the pinion.

Shaft splines at the diff end distorted and jamming in the diff

It will be "Fun" to get out :lol:

You've got ARBs so you can get to it from tuher side, you wull have to maybe get a puller on it somehow (prob weld a lug and sacrifice the shaft, and pray it comes out withoiut damaging the ARB, if you can get a hydraulic puller this may do it gentler than massive "Shiftyerpig" shock loads

:) not looking good is it ? :lol:

Nige

also whats the strongest cv joint ive got a four pin diff and ashcroft half shafts.

Someone more extreme will probably have a definitive answer but the Ashcroft ones are supposed to be quite good.

I suspect the end of your shaft has twisted, in which case a whole lot of tugging and swearing is the order of the day.

Ok got it out...... theres a bush in the end of the swivel and its dead...it and the half shaft have been attacking each other, any idea how hard it is to get the bush out? hammer or a press?

I use a bottle jack under my truck to do bushes usually, a little crude but certainly far cheaper than a press!! :lol: