Grease and Grease Guns

10 minutes ago, simonr said:

On a hydraulic toppling Bell Tower, Spiderman Far From Home

Glad to have some relevant real-world grease gun experience we can all relate to :lol: greasing my toppling bell tower is a constant chore so top tip there thanks Simon :D

Another vote for Wanner guns here, Jez found one in a military surplus yard years ago and bought it for the funny name... then we started using it, and then we had to seek out more Wanners at Sodbury and on eBay...

• Haha 1

The electric guns have come a long way and I think whichever colour powertool you prefer do their own gun which you can obviously share batteries with your drills, grinders etc.

I can only comment on the dewalt and sealey guns, we get the sealey ones at work and they give good pressure, not too heavy with the lithium batteries and you get a good amount of greasing time to one battery as well. The batteries don't last very long though if left stood around and we dont run any other sealey tools to share batteries with to keep them cycled.

I have a dewalt gun personally and I cant fault it, a bit heavier than the sealey gun but feels a lot better made and the advantage of being able to swap batteries with the rest of my tools keeps them alive a lot longer.

We also have air greasers in the main depots that sit on top of a big tub of grease. The lads prefer to use this when they're in the depot just for the fact that they are using 2-3 cartridges per machine on slew rings and other grease points etc so its much quicker. They save the cordless ones for field work.

• 3 months later...
On 6/16/2023 at 11:19 AM, Mudmonkey said:

The lads prefer to use this when they're in the depot just for the fact that they are using 2-3 cartridges per machine on slew rings and other grease points etc so its much quicker. They save the cordless ones for field work.

Wish I had the justification for that. I was shocked the first time I greased up my diddly JCB 2CX. A grease cartridge on the side shift and under carriage, another one on the back actor, and another one and a half on the loader. Then was just flicking through the manual for an oil spec and noticed I'd missed off at least a dozen more nipples.

Thankfully as its just personal use I don't need to grease it that often but I got a shock when I kept going back into the workshop for more grease cartridges.

• Like 1

I use a Lincoln air powered grease gun, and have recently purchased and used a Doost D600 lock on end from Gwynn Lewis. The new end makes getting onto the u/js very easy. It has a narrow nose and locks and unlocks easily and  It would be very good if you had a manual gun needing two hands. I joined the new end with a right angled connector which helps in confined spaces. It comes M10 x1 threaded with a bsp adaptor; the Licoln is of course NPT.

Instagram and Facebook are full of adverts for different clamping types of grease couplings … has anyone tried any of those? 

I have an air powered gun and a few hand actuated ones - they are all either rubbish or I don’t know how to use them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Tried a few never really found them that good, the quality of standard ends does vary as does the sealing capability if muck and paint gets in around the internal tabs. 

I just use the standard Milwaukee one on mine and when it won’t seal I swap the nipple for a new one and lo and behold that was the issue….

• Like 1