Heavy duty weld on diff pans

upnover4x4

Al is either pulling your leg even more or has eye sight problems ;)

The brake line protector welding though is carp :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lara.

Hold on - where did I say there was anything wrong with it???? :unsure:

Just asking about the technique, thassall! :) I know that on other forums 'stacked dime' welds have been a bone of contention.

Will - its too late, we have the photographic evidence! :P

Al.

:)

Just asking about the technique, thassall! :) I know that on other forums 'stacked dime' welds have been a bone of contention.

Will - its too late, we have the photographic evidence! :P

Al.

Al you are a bad man...........

You mean like an overlapping line of single spot welds :ph34r: ............ as opposed to a continuous (push) run...........

Ian

Al you are a bad man...........

I do it so you don't have to. :lol:

Yes - an overlapping line of (effectively) cold spot welds. The only way to do it continuously that I know of is to make a 'pool', push forward over the second to where the third would be (letting the first cool), the reverse back to the second and make that pool, then push past the third to the forth while the second cools then back to the thrid to pool again - etc etc.

Since this is effectively cooling the weld pool then starting another on top (which you need to do to get the definition, as far as I know, which isn't necessarily very far), the difference between cold spots and continous done in the above way is what?

Is that how you do it Will?

Just genuinely interested... Although I bet its not coming across like that! :P

Al

Pipe end caps - commonly used in water industry (how handy!) probably manufactured by Saint Gobain Pipelines amongst others. I'll have a butchers when i get back to the office for stockists as its gonna be much cheaper that way.

Spoke to st.gobain with no luck... they did recommend somebody but no luck there either.

Adrian

What did they say...they dont make em, or they wont supply them (both are false!)??

They said they didnt sell them nor make them. Spoke to another company local to me in cornwall that Gobain said might do them & they didnt sell or know where I could get themeither. They did sell caps but no where near the size we require. I spoke to crown diffs tues & he has a friend who make them for him using pipe caps, but understandably wasnt willing to divulge the suppliers name.

Ade

What did they say...they dont make em, or they wont supply them (both are false!)??

Maybe its just they dont want to deal with joe public. Im sure theres enough people interested here to warrant a bulk purchase. I need 2 & probably might keep another 2 as spares for future needs.

Sounds about right - they are frosty at the best of times and we spend millions with them every year!

I'll try and find another supplier who will be more accommodating. Is it 9" end caps we need?

Just measured the old oe pan & roughly 8". Looking at what jim gigglepin said that his over lap the originals, I would think 8 1/2-9". Worth seeing what sizes are available. Theres quite a lot of area the accomodate a 9" pan id say. Ill grind the old pan of in the morning to get a more accurate figure

Ade

I have a prototype one from Southdown pictures below, the hole for the filler was slightly out hence the wrong angle on the crown wheel ridge, Davs presses them himself then they have a weld on lip, probably worth calling him if your thinking about them, he may do a special price for a group order - not sure?

post-53-1208453301_thumb.jpg

Guest WALFY

OK it's not clear in your pic though. It's of no use to me anyway, I've got an early RRC axle so the filler is on the diff :( .

Still looking for a bare disk brake rear axle tube

Haven't got any pics, though I have just done mine the other weekend. I got some pipe end caps at £10 each from a local supplier (had about half a doven left over from an old order). Involved a little more work than some purpose built alternatives to get them just the right shape and fit the filler plug out off the origional diff pan, but thats all part of the fun for me. Also unlike some end caps (eg the ANSI cap) which can be 9mm or more thick the ones I got were made from handier 6mm.

I do it so you don't have to. :lol:

Yes - an overlapping line of (effectively) cold spot welds. The only way to do it continuously that I know of is to make a 'pool', push forward over the second to where the third would be (letting the first cool), the reverse back to the second and make that pool, then push past the third to the forth while the second cools then back to the thrid to pool again - etc etc.

Since this is effectively cooling the weld pool then starting another on top (which you need to do to get the definition, as far as I know, which isn't necessarily very far), the difference between cold spots and continous done in the above way is what?

Is that how you do it Will?

Just genuinely interested... Although I bet its not coming across like that! :P

Al

Yeah, that's sort of it - rollback over the top of the previous 'weld' in a spiralling action. The big differance between a row of cold spots and this is that it isn't cold. Although you can see a pattern in the weld there isn't much in the way of a change in profile showing the liquid metal is flowing freely into and over the last spiral. If it had just been a line of spot welds you'd have a very blobby surface due to the surface tension of the individual welds.

Haven't got any pics, though I have just done mine the other weekend. I got some pipe end caps at £10 each from a local supplier (had about half a doven left over from an old order). Involved a little more work than some purpose built alternatives to get them just the right shape and fit the filler plug out off the origional diff pan, but thats all part of the fun for me. Also unlike some end caps (eg the ANSI cap) which can be 9mm or more thick the ones I got were made from handier 6mm.

Does this supplier have a name, Chris ? :)

Mo

Like so?

Not a strong method of welding and has the potential to create a cold weld unless a lot of care is taken .................. however, there is no strength required in a diff pan weld................ it just needs to be oil tight .......................so its OK............ B)

I welded mine as an almost continuous weld divided up into quarters.............

prep.........

gallery_269_31_27424.jpg

welded.................

gallery_269_31_11745.jpg

new spring seats.............

gallery_269_31_16826.jpg

But hey .................... just so that you dont get the idea that it always goes OK ..................... I lost concentration on the lower half and 'wandered' :blink: ......... I had to grind off and run it again............ :rolleyes:

gallery_269_31_156.jpg

That is a H/duty pan ................. not pipe cap h/Duty but then again I don't usually reverse into stuff at speed !

Ian