Registration question?

XtremeMarineInc

Hey gang. Been a while since my last post. What's up Fridge?

Was just given a SIII 109 RHD as a birthday present from a friend. Trying to find out some history. I believe it was a UK spec vehicle. It has a square license plate on the left rear, dark yellow in color, with raised Black block numbers and letters. Also it has a BL CARS LTD identification plaque, next to the steering column, on the bulkhead.

Numbers are as follows:

LBCAH1AA111503

Plate Number: SGV213W

Labeled in two rows as such;

SGV

213W

Any help on year or origin of manufacture would be highly appreciated.

Thanks;

Daniel.

Daniel,

Congrats on the prezzie.

I reckon that it is a early 1980's model - the "w" denotes the age of GB vehicles - wikipedia for more help.

MIne is an X reg (year later) and is 1981. Thus yous should be built before Aug 1980.

Also the chassis number is the comparitavely newer EU (or is it world) Standard format.

Contact british heritage gaydon for more details (google).

I'm not sure for certain but I think that your landrover has been metricis(Z)ed - some fittings are metric and some are imperial. Important for ordering parts such as brake fittings etc. No biggie as you can get them, but your US supplier may not have them to hand.

Download the manual (I think they're in the archives here otherwise go to the estonian land rover website). This has chassis number data etc.

I believe it qualifies for import to the US as >25 year old vehicle.

Best of luck,

G.

G;

Thanks so much. I hope it is legal, as it is in my yard, in Florida. LOL! Also, have a 5 door 109 coming from the same guy. After he gave me the other, I was trying to help him by pointing out what he would need to fix, and he decided that it was too much bother. So I made an offer. Should hear from him today, if he accepts it. Thanks again.

Decoding SALLBCAH1AA111503

Region S Europe

Country A United Kingdom

Manufacturer L British Leyland / Land Rover

Model LB Series III, Stage 1 or Lightweight

Wheelbase C 109"

Body type A Truck Cab, Soft Top or Hard Top (Utility Body)

Engine H 2.25-litre, 4-cylinder Petrol

Steering / Transmission 1 RHD, 4-speed

Model year A 1983 - 1984 ish...

Assembly location A Solihull, UK

Serial number 111503

Interesting? So it could be later than a 1980 model, then? If the Decode says 83-84, how would the tag be from a 1980 vintage? Am I correct in assuming this truck would have the later 5 bearing engine then. The head and valve cover are different in shape and design, then my SIIa (64'), and SIII (73') petrol 2.25's.

Do you have cross hatch stiffeners in the block, near the bottom? Look under the oil filter, if so then it's a five bearing.

Check if there are any other VIN numbers on the 109. Do they differ? If so, then this could explain the difference in years of manufacture.

Todd.

Todd; the frame is in bad enough disrepair that I do not think I will find any vin by the spring hanger. The vin I found is in the engine bay, on the bulkhead. There is not a VIN on the passenger compartment side of the bulkhead. I will look for cross hatch marks when I return home, as it is in the bed, unmounrted. I have the block and head serial numbers, if that helps. Thanks again.

A quick checck on the DVLA's website shows the following data:-

The enquiry is complete

The vehicle details for SGV 213W are:

Date of Liability 08 09 2003

Date of First Registration 01 04 1981

Year of Manufacture 1981

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2286CC

CO2 Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type Petrol

Export Marker Not Applicable

Vehicle Status Unlicensed

Vehicle Colour BLACK

Vehicle Type Approval null

The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.

Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle

6 Months Rate £101.75

12 Months Rate £185.00

Jon

Big Brother is WATCHING you.

Go to the DVLA website and look it up!

Still: important thing is its >25 year old.

Should be a 5 bearing unit (red block?).

G.

Jon White;

I followed your suggestion, and went to the DVLA website to bring up your research, because I wanted a printed out version to have with the records for the vehicle. As I have no paperwork with it, I figured at least something was better than nothing.

IT IS THE WORST SITE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!

How, oh How did you ever find this info? Is it just an Italian stuck in america, trying to use an UK site, problem? I'm about to put my fist through my computer screen. I hate that site with a passion.

Go to here and pick vehicle enquiry from the menu down th elft hand side of the screen.

Click next on the next screen that appears, then on the next screen enter the licence plate number and pick land rover from the list of manufacturers. You can ignore the other two boxes. Click next and the info I posted above will show on the screen.

If you speak to DVLA in swansea they can (for a fee) provide you with a print out of all the information that they hold for the vehicle, including all the previous owners, changes of colour, changes of engine etc etc.

Jon

931:

Model: Land Rover, Series III

Body type: Station wagon

Wheel base: 109in

Engine: petrol

Model years: 1972-1979

Destination: Home market, right-hand drive (RHD)

04911: Serial number

D:Design: Three significant design modifications

• 3 years later...

Hey gang. Been a while since my last post. What's up Fridge?

Was just given a SIII 109 RHD as a birthday present from a friend. Trying to find out some history. I believe it was a UK spec vehicle. It has a square license plate on the left rear, dark yellow in color, with raised Black block numbers and letters. Also it has a BL CARS LTD identification plaque, next to the steering column, on the bulkhead.

Numbers are as follows:

LBCAH1AA111503

Plate Number: SGV213W

Labeled in two rows as such;

SGV

213W

Any help on year or origin of manufacture would be highly appreciated.

Thanks;

Daniel.

Hi Mate do you still own this Land Rover? I seems like the one I used to own, I think I sold it around 2002-2003 it used to be light blue in colour with a white hard top and has a piece cut out in the dash to take a radio, I originally painted it nato green myself, I was gutted to sell it but at the time I couldnt afford to get the work done what it needed, I can email you some pictures of it if you like?