Spring mounts on RRC

Orange

Having spent the day trying to replace the saggy old springs on our RR, we've come across a little stumbling block! :angry:

When the springs and bottom plates were removed it appeared that the brackets / plates that are attached to the axle are completely rusted through! Now, not being much of a welder/fabricator :( , I'm wondering if

1)anyone knows of someone who sells these as a repair section/part

2)anyone has made some before and fancies making up 4 more!!

3)it's a case of trying to make something up myself (obviously this will involve a lot of lassoos and shouting ye-ha!!!)??

I think the vertical parts that are actually welded to the axle are pretty sound, so it may just be a case of welding some new plates across these with holes drilled in the right places. However if this is not the case they will need to be completely replaced!

I've got a friend lined up to do the welding onto the vehicle part, but just need some advice on the other bit!! Any clues??!!??

Cheers,

Adrian

The lower spring mounting discs are just bolted to the axle with the retaining bar. Even from a dealer these can't be much money to get new or ask in classified and someone might even give you a set.

If the inverted U welded to the axle is shot (and it doesn't sound as if it is) then this could be replaced by a competent welder or alteratively just get a replacement s/h axle. Not many pennies and a straightfwd swap.

Trev,

Yeah, it's the inverted 'U' bit on the axle case thats the problem....

Welding new 'U' pices on souldn't be a problem (they have a tame welder) but it's a question of where to get the new pieces from without having to get somehting fabricated up. They don't have much in the way of fabrication kit where they are, and bending a peice of 6mm? isn't exactly childs play...

Cheers

Mark

[brother of Orange...]

Edited by Mark

Trev,

Welding new 'U' pices on souldn't be a problem (they have a tame welder) but it's a question of where to get the new pieces from without having to get somehting fabricated up. They don't have much in the way of fabrication kit where they are, and bending a peice of 6mm? isn't exactly childs play...

Cheers

Mark

[brother of Orange...]

hm,. well 6mm could be bent with some heat if need be or just weld the low disc onto the remaining (or repaired uprights). Where is this then? If it's this bad gone another case (s/h) may be a good option as other brackets and the diff pan could be pretty near end of life as well.

Trev,

Cheers

Mark

[brother of Orange...]

Fairly simple bit of fabrication...........................yopu have a PM !

Nige

You can now buy repair sticky uppy inverted "u" shape spring mounts repair panels. :)

For those of us not fortunate enough to have all the groovy fabrication gear, these are the next best thing.

They are available from any SPI stockist.

D :-)

Edited by v8bertha

hm,. well 6mm could be bent with some heat if need be or just weld the low disc onto the remaining (or repaired uprights). Where is this then? If it's this bad gone another case (s/h) may be a good option as other brackets and the diff pan could be pretty near end of life as well.

The rest of the axle casing appears to be pretty sound at the moment!! (Famous last words!!) So I think the welding solution is the best one - just need to find some plate to do it!!

I'm trying to explain it without getting confused!! It's the horizontal bits of the upside down 'U' pieces that have rusted away to nothing!! The vertical bits are OK so I think the solution will be to weld some new horizontal pieces on with holes drilled in the right places and some nuts tacked on so they become captive!!?? I think that clears it up!!

You can now buy repair sticky uppy inverted "u" shape spring mounts repair panels. :)

For those of us not fortunate enough to have all the groovy fabrication gear, these are the next best thing.

They are available from any SPI stockist.

D :-)

At the risk of sounding like a complete Numpty - what is and where would I find an SPI supplier??? :huh:

At the risk of sounding like a complete Numpty - what is and where would I find an SPI supplier??? :huh:

Not sure who is local to you, but our local Landy place down here is sunny southampton is an SPI stockist... If you are still havin me wheels and tyres I can get some ordered up for you and deliver at the same time when we go visit the other halfs parents in Kent :)

For your interest...

SPI homepage

Dan :D

Cheers Dan!!

I've been to the local scrappy today and managed to get a few bits of plate to see if we can sort it out the 'ye-ha' way!! We'll have a go and see how far we get this weekend and if we need some new ones we'll give you a shout!!

Yes please, still want the wheels and tyres!! Do you know when you are up this way yet or is it still unconfirmed?? PM me and we'll sort it out!! If it's easier to meet half way on Sunday then I can do that!!

Cheers

Adrian