Rover axle unsprug weight

will_warne

I'm just trying to do some unsprung weight calculations and the weight figures I've got for front and rear axles (140 kg and 107 kg) seem a bit on the high side if its without rims. Can anyone confirm whether these are right or a bit out.

Cheers,

Guest diesel_jim
I'm just trying to do some unsprung weight calculations and the weight figures I've got for front and rear axles (140 kg and 107 kg) seem a bit on the high side if its without rims. Can anyone confirm whether these are right or a bit out.

Cheers,

i'd say thats about right. front heavier (not than a salisbury rear) because of the bigger calipers/swivels/CV's etc

Cheers,

Hi Will

Do not know if this is off any use, perhaps as a guideline.

http://www.rhel.co.uk/RHELtomcattech.htm

Regards

Ole.

Cheers guys, it seems it must be about right.

Links, yes, I'll be adding half the total weight of the links but this'll be negligable compared to the weight of the axle and a pair of built up wheels (38.5" Boggers and double bead locks)

I can confirm that

A ) axles are really heavy, rear axle is a substantial lift for two, front axle required the two of us to take a break midway to getting the axle to the 90 :huh:

B ) two axles will fit in the back of a 90 HT, getting them in there is a different matter....

C ) it hurts when you trap your fingers between the hub and axle when the hubs moves on the swivel

D ) it hurts even more when you stand up in the back of a 90 HT and head-butt the roof, because you trapped your fingers between the hub and the axle.

Just weighed them, well had tea and a bear since, Ah friday :)

I ended up measuring the sprung weights on the rolling chassis as it was easier than the spare pair of axles and didn't have the bodge SLU fitted. both were mounted using standard factory. All the bolts were loose as well so only the bare minimum of influance on the weight from the bushes. Axles were from a 1987 RRC

Front axle worked out at 162Kg without wheels/tyres

This did include a 6mm diff pan and a sleeved track rod.

Rear axle worked out at 103Kg

Again this was with a 6mm diff pan and with a slight grinding to the trailing arm mounts.

As an aside

225/75r16 BFG MT (about 50% worn) on a RRC 3 spoke alloy = 28.7Kg

7.50-16 firestone SAT (about 70 to 60% worn) on 7*16 modular = 33.7 Kg

34x10.50-15 super swamper LTB (about 90% worn) on 8*15 8 spoke = 37.9 Kg

Just weighed them, well had tea and a bear since, Ah friday :)

I ended up measuring the sprung weights on the rolling chassis as it was easier than the spare pair of axles and didn't have the bodge SLU fitted. both were mounted using standard factory. All the bolts were loose as well so only the bare minimum of influance on the weight from the bushes. Axles were from a 1987 RRC

Front axle worked out at 162Kg without wheels/tyres

This did include a 6mm diff pan and a sleeved track rod.

Rear axle worked out at 103Kg

Again this was with a 6mm diff pan and with a slight grinding to the trailing arm mounts.

As an aside

225/75r16 BFG MT (about 50% worn) on a RRC 3 spoke alloy = 28.7Kg

7.50-16 firestone SAT (about 70 to 60% worn) on 7*16 modular = 33.7 Kg

34x10.50-15 super swamper LTB (about 90% worn) on 8*15 8 spoke = 37.9 Kg

Excellent - that's good stuff to know!

I can confirm that

A ) axles are really heavy, rear axle is a substantial lift for two, front axle required the two of us to take a break midway to getting the axle to the 90 :huh:

B ) two axles will fit in the back of a 90 HT, getting them in there is a different matter....

C ) it hurts when you trap your fingers between the hub and axle when the hubs moves on the swivel

D ) it hurts even more when you stand up in the back of a 90 HT and head-butt the roof, because you trapped your fingers between the hub and the axle.

Hmm, no wonder I struggled on my own to lift a rear axle out of the Disco :o

wuss!!! dead easy! :rolleyes:

+1

i did struggle lifting some Mog axles by myself though- managed it but they cant be dead lifted by one person (not unless your entering the worlds strongest man comp- even then they might struggle) - they have to be "walked"

+1

i did struggle lifting some Mog axles by myself though- managed it but they cant be dead lifted by one person (not unless your entering the worlds strongest man comp- even then they might struggle) - they have to be "walked"

Jim, may I introduce you to diesel jim???? This is someone who had his weetabix for breakfast :lol:;)