Anyone TD5 an 88 yet?

The Hatt

Anything can be made to fit but i doubt it will be ideal, especially if you keep the chocolate series gbox, i doubt that the whole engine r380 combo will fit in an 88 unless a tiny rear propshaft is used..................... a tdv6 would be interesting :P

Probably buying a td5 90 will make your life much easier and cheaper....................

Grem

Guest diesel_jim

Can't see it would be too bad.... if you were to buy a complete Td5 bulkhead loom (i won one on eblag last week for £10.50!) and shoehorn it into the series bulkhead, the rest is plug and pray.

only the fuel pump would need some thought... you may be able to make the Td5 in-tank pump fit a series pump, or just use an external pump and a swirl chamber.

i quite fancy, in a year or 2 (when i've finished building the 110), getting an old ex military 90 soft top, keeping it military spec but sticking in a Td5. B) B)

Yeah I thought it would be different.

You see I have my 200Tdi Discovery and I've got an old 88 Series 3. But the 88's motor is no more so need to think of what to do. I've also got a 300tdi auto Disco in the pipe line.

Ideally I'd like to make something good for trialling utilising what I've got and without breaking the bank.

So possibly converting the 88 to coils using one of the Disco's. But thought maybe a different engine would be more interesting.

Lot and lots of possibilities... shame about the lack of money though...... lol :)

200tdi disco lump into an 88" is a fairly straightforward swap.

I personally wouldnt bother coiling the series, especially if you're going to trial it. Well set up parabolics IMHO are a better set up than standard landrover coils, and actually give more articulation.

Jon

200tdi disco lump into an 88" is a fairly straightforward swap.

I personally wouldnt bother coiling the series, especially if you're going to trial it. Well set up parabolics IMHO are a better set up than standard landrover coils, and actually give more articulation.

Jon

Yep I've considered this as well. But to be honest if I did this I'd want to swap the axles over for a wider track and better brakes and add power steering. Think overall it wouldn't be any cheaper or easier to stick with the leaf suspension. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Sell the Series and buy a 90. If you coil it you'll need an SVA and by the time you've done all that buggering about you may as well have bought a 90 and had an easier time all round with decent brakes, coils, PAS, space for the TD5 and drivetrain, etc...

If you just want to drop a TD5 in to a Series then I can't see it'd be any harder than the 200/300TDi conversions that have been done a hundred times over, obviously for most LR owners there's the rabid fear of anything that needs more than one wire to make it work, but as has been said a stock loom is cheap and would make life easier. It will lunch the Series gearbox if you drive like an arse, but if you're careful it's probably livable with. If not - buy a 90.