Alternators - how much £

simonr

i think the bosch units survive better in mud, i used to run anything i could get my hands on, lucas of metros were plentiful but i was killing them everytime i went offroad. first mondeo one lasted me 2.5 years, only on my second now, both were/are from scrappies

Tonk, I bought one from a scrapyard and it didn't fit. Maybe wrong year of build..>? What year of mondeo's do you get them from and petrol or diesel engines?

Cheers Bowy

My alternator has a plate on it which has the followong numbers

24229D

A133-80

099312V

It's on a 3.9 V8, Which model alternator is this?

This is what i've found on the Paddocks site

STC234A Alternator - A127/65 and A133/65 72.00

STC1753 Alternator - A133/80 135.00

YLE10099 Alternator - A127/85 from KA624756 to LA647644 139.00

YLE10100 Alternator - A127/100 from KA624756 to LA647644 149.00

Im assuming i have the STC1753?

What does the A127/A133 stand for? Is it the casing?

As i would like to replace mine with a 100-120 amp one and wondering what will be a straight swap?

The numbers starting 18L = engine numbers, others starting with letters are VIN numbers, use the one which corresponds with your vehicles engine/VIN :D

Cheers :D , I'll have to dig my engine number out and have a look.

There used to be a British (stand straight you 'orrible little man) unit that I saw at a Farming & Commercial show back in the early 80's that put out over 150 A and had a 240V / welding output, it was very impressive during the demo mounted on an SIII, flood lights, fridge (cold beer) and welder going all at once with the engine running at 1200 rpm, wasn't any bigger than the military 24V dynos fitted at the time. Guy was in talks with MOD, I got all the brochures but never heard any more about it.

I didn't know brushless Alt's had made it out of the industrial / marine field, basically you have another set of smaller windings (exciter) that generate the main rotor field by controlling the exciter static windings rather than brushes. Now if they have managed to squeeze a rotating AVR into one as well I will be impressed.

75 quid sounds like a good deal for that, last time I did a recon exchange it was over 70 quid.

Edited by Niall_CSK