Fuel filtration

Looking at fuel filters for a bulk diesel tank at work, I have my eye on one which seems to crop up a lot called a "Golden Rod" unit (ooer) which filters to 10 micron for the dirt only version and 15 micron if you get the water absorbing version, fairly big clear filter bowl with a 1" inlet and outlet which should be plenty.

But how does this (15 micron) compare with the level of filtration on something like a 300Tdi fuel filter element - does anybody know what particle size a typical Land Rover filter will go down to? I've done some Googling, nothing specific to LR but ranges seem to be mentioned from 0.1 micron up to 45 micron which is quite a large range! It is not required to do all the filtration just to take out the worst of the sh&6% before it gets into tanks if we get a bad batch of diesel. Fuel quality here is best described as "variable" and changing a bulk tank filter is less inconvenient...!

Ta :)

No idea about fuel, but hydraulic systems tend to want down to 10 microns for valve blocks and pumps etc. Would suggest that that would be good enough unless the running clearances in a injector pump are finer than a hydraulic pump/valve block. Might find it blocks very quickly though if you get a duff batch of diesel.

Try the White House Products web site - you can specify a filter to suit your application.

Adrian

Might find it blocks very quickly though if you get a duff batch of diesel.

Tell me about it :rtfm: four lots of filters in one of our boats (takes four filters at a time - 2 on each engine) in 3 weeks! :angry:

I've been doing some more scratching around on tinterweb and it seems to be somewhere between 2 micron for a modern common rail engine to about 10 for a "normal" engine - but if anybody knows what a 300Tdi filter is, please post up!

I don't remember seeing something resembling a filtration requirement for tdi's but I can give you some data.

On the 300tdi Discovery I use Mann filters. The fuel filter recommended by Mann is WK 842/2 and it has the following data:

- temperature range: -40°C to +80°C

- filter area: 3,978 cm²

- capacity: ~ 18 gr/cm²

- filter efficiency following ISO TR13353 3-5µm: >45%

- maximum operating pressure: 6 bar

- flow rate with diesel fuel: ~ 100 liters/hour

- shape of filter: spin-on

- biodiesel compatible.

On top of my head I would have said a 5-7 microns at 50% would be acceptable for a 200/300 tdi fuel filter.

Generally speaking, about 5-10 micron depending on the efficiency of the filter . However, you can rely on the in car filter to take out anything below about 50 without clogging - provided of course that you change it at the service intervals.

This is taken from the realms of filtering used veggy oil...

Thanks, got a thoroughly unhelpful reply from the people I WAS going to buy the Golden Rod filters from so I think I will be taking my business elsewhere :angry:

I guess 10 microns will probably take out most of the Sh you get in the fuel here anyway, though will still have to keep an eye on the main filters when it is bad!

A long while ago, I read about using toilet rolls as a very effective oil filter - you take the cardboard out and put it in an old style filter housing.

I think the jist of it was that it was they made a very effective filter and very cheaply.

:huh: carp idea?

A long while ago, I read about using toilet rolls as a very effective oil filter - you take the cardboard out and put it in an old style filter housing.

I think the jist of it was that it was they made a very effective filter and very cheaply.

:huh: carp idea?

Personally i do think its a carp idea, the loo roll would be broken up by the movement of the oil through it (just like it breaks up when you flush :blush: )

within a few minutes you'd end up with a load of toilet roll mush flowing around your engine....

In answer to the original question, i'd go for the 15 mic with the water trap.... our hydraulic systems at work (large fridge plants) are fitted with a 10-15 mic filter, i doubt a landrover engine would need filtration below 10 mic...

I'd be amazed if you can get a fuel filter to take out particles down to 0.5 mic.... the presure drop through it would be huge...

if you clean the fuel down to 15 mic, the vehicle fuel filter can do the rest... i'd say good filter maintenance and regular replacement is just as important.

Bosch 'blue book' says a mean pore size of 4-5 um for distributor type injection pumps, and 8-10um for other types.

(My copy is dated 1996, so preceeds modern high pressure and electronic diesel injection systems.)

are we talking about a fuel filter for a bulk storage tank here? ..because thats what I tought we were discussing... if that is the case then the filter doesn't need to be quite as fine as the vehicle mounted filter does it?

you could also look at two stage filtration...

you could have a basket with a 100micron washable mesh, which would protect the 10 or 15 mic filter from any large lumps.. this would extend the life of the fine filter as it wouldn't get clogged with any bigger bits...

This last suggestion seems very sensible to me. Actually, this is also the ruote chosen by LR for diesel Series going to export countries: a sedimentor bowl before tha paper element, the first being dedicated to trapping the larger particles of dirt and water, so prolonging life of the latter and reducing the risk of it getting blocked.

As for paper elements, they can be of very different qualities: the standard fuel filter in a Td5 costs a lot of money if compared to the filter in a Tdi, but it is designed to provide high water separation (probably the five EUI's are quite delicate in this respect): once more, a typical case of "you get what you paied for"!