Alladins Cave

Bloke over the way from me does a'bit ' on cars

As Mr Neale was down with family today, he and I slipped away to oggle a Traction Avant that is parked up in this guys yard. Matey chap was there at the time, nice bloke, tinkering with the IL6 in his Jag. Said 'no worries' as to me and Matt having a peak at the Avant - oneof the most beautiful cars ever made.

So then we spy a likkle engine in the corner of the yard. A Rolls Royce Eagle TD; 27 litres and six cylinders of perfection coupled up to an auto box. Matt is trying to work out how to fit in the 110.

I happen to glance into the workshop. Envy is a strong word. Imagine the best lathes and milling machines form the 60's and 70's, Tig, Mig, Arc, Gas, real mans pillar drills, 100tonne press, overhead hoist - all covered in a gentle patina of oil and light grime... Sadly we tarried to long and the wives started yanking on the electric leashes, but I shall be back there - oh yes.

Maybe I can finally start buiilding my vapour winch!

If it was an Eagle then it would be 12.17 litres straight 6. If it was 27 litres (26.11 litres) then it is the CV12.

I have the workshop manuals on both if there is anything you need to know about it.

This could be an interesting build.

Ahh, you say six cylinders, then it is the Eagle 12.17l.

Dry weights:

Normally Aspirated 1073kg

Turbo 1111kg

Turbo intercooled 1137kg

I think you may need uprated front springs.

If it was an Eagle then it would be 12.17 litres straight 6. If it was 27 litres (26.11 litres) then it is the CV12.

I have the workshop manuals on both if there is anything you need to know about it.

This could be an interesting build.

Ahh, you say six cylinders, then it is the Eagle 12.17l.

Dry weights:

Normally Aspirated 1073kg

Turbo 1111kg

Turbo intercooled 1137kg

I think you may need uprated front springs.

I bow to your knowledeg mate - matey chap sadi he reckoned it was 27litres. I just know it was damn big. It's going into a 360 excavator somehow.

He's got an old Matpro in there - the one with the engine behind the cab - straight six of some sort; and that tiny cab - like a WW2 fighter

The CV12 is a huge lump weighing in at over 2 tons, slightly more then 2 Eagles joined together at the crank. It is the engine used in both the Challenger 1 tank (1200 bhp) and the Scammell Commander tank transporter (625 bhp).

The Eagle is a really nice proven engine as is the CV12.

Your mates place sounds like a grinning from ear to ear type of place. :wub:

Been over to see him tonight - dropped off some seed potatoes. He's got some silly stuff over there. How does a Ford/Lotus 1500 TC lump grab you and the way he has fitted an oil filter onto the Avant lump (usually filterless) is a masterpiece. Met his missus tonight - lovely lady but very ill, confined to a wheelchair. A cuddle from the youngest soon made her smile!

i know a bloke with a merlin in his barn, out of a tank, HUGE the exhausts on the thing are longer than i am runnin straight back from the heads :D

he wants to build it into a 2 seater, might take him a decade or two tho :D

Chap down the valley has a nice barn-full of toys - Spitfire, P-51 and a Hurricane, all of which regularly fly. Couple of helis as well. In the summer months we regularly get flypasts ;)

He crashed the Hurricane a year or two back in a field. Apparantly he got out, walked home and drove back in one of his tanks to recover it :blink:

I'm still trying to introduce myself and get a tour......

i know a bloke with a merlin in his barn, out of a tank, HUGE the exhausts on the thing are longer than i am runnin straight back from the heads :D

he wants to build it into a 2 seater, might take him a decade or two tho :D

Someone built a Merlin engined car back in the 70s. In fact i think there was more than one.

Used to show up at Drag race meets and custom car shows. Wonder where they are now?

he said it was a merlin, had been in a tank and had been in a land speed attempt (the ones with powered wheels not jets :D) but i don't know the history that well, i might be able to bet back to you with some details