GPS data upload/download

BogMonster

My GPS setup is pretty basic: a yellow eTrex, a GPS Warehouse data/power cable to connect it to my computer and the Garmin Trip & Waypoint Manager to store tracks, waypoints etc. It should do all that I want ... but I have a problem.

Due to the small amount of memory in the eTrex I have had to delete some of my older tracks, not a problem I thought as I have them stored on T&WM. So the TWM file now has my older tracks in, and the GPS has some newer ones but not the older ones. I want to transfer a couple of the older ones to the GPS in preparation for Christmas, but want to keep some of the newer ones in there as well - an obvious thing to be able to do you would think ... but I can't get it to work!

Opening the GPS data into TWM over-writes all data that is in there, and while I haven't tried it, I assume saving the data to the GPS from TWM will overwrite that too

There doesn't seem to be any way to merge the data into one large file on the PC and then selectively save bits to the GPS, or am I missing something? I can import the GPS data into a separate file on the computer, but then I have two files and I can't get the whole lot to be in the same place. There seems to be a facility in the program to export data to one format, and import it into the program in other formats, but not to import it in the one you can export it in! Grrr..... any ideas please?

In the longer term I will probably look at a GPS with a bigger memory; the eTrex does everything I need (and no GPS at any price has base maps for here unless you work for the MoD!) but seriously needs more memory - waypoints are no problem but half a dozen decent all-day's-driving tracks is close to the limit, which is not much good. I want something nice and small and portable like the eTrex, not a permanently mounted one. Any recommendations for a little unit with lots of memory that isn't too expensive?

Ta

Stephen

I haven't used the Tracks and Waypoints software, but the Mapsource (v 6.9 I think I've got) software seems to be able to copy tracks from one saved file and paste them into a new one, which can then be uploaded to the GPS. Are you sure you can't do that, as I thought they would work in a similar way?

Richard

They should save as long as they are named differently. Saved tracks are limited to a maximum of 125 waypoints each on that model (which is practically useless).

There are pluses to mapping units. You don't "need" to have store bought maps. Turning your track data into a map is fairly easy. I do that around here. All of the local 4WD tracks have been made into one small map that overlays onto other maps.

G7toWin is a small useful and free program that can be downloaded from here

I haven't used it for a while (I mostly use OziExplorer), I know it will handle single tracks, but not sure about multiple tracks.

I haven't had anything to do with the Etrex, but I have had some other Garmins. I currently use a Garmin GPSmap 176C, MagellanFX324, Silva Multi Navigator and Furuno Navigator.

The Magellans with standard SD cards are are good for saving tracks as they can store multiple tracks etc on the sd card. The sd cards can be swapped in the gps. SD card readers are relatively cheap and can be used to transfer tracks etc between the sd cards and a pc.

My experience with Garmins that can hold multiple tracks, is that they reduce the number of points in saved tracks (to save memory) to much, much less than the active track.

G7toWin will handle multiple tracks. I use it with my ETrex. It will only download all tracks from the GPS or upload all tracks from G7 to GPS, but you can edit the tracks in G7. I save each track individually from G7, these can then be loaded into G& and uploaded to GPS individually and tehy don't wipe what's already on the GPS.

Thanks all, I'll give the suggestions a go.

I've already tried GPS Utility but it won't talk to the eTrex, just gets a sulk and says the Garmin driver isn't installed. Which it wouldn't be as it's a GPSW interface cable not a Garmin one but despite shouting at it for some time it didn't agree with me :blink:

cheers :)

Stephen