255/85/16

chris200100

Too many variables to give any kind of definative answer, I have a set of super swampers that are a very similare size to a 255/85 on fairly extreme offset wheels and a 3" lift (1.5" susoension 1.5" body). On level ground and farm tracks they are ok (stick out too far for the raod), but it physically can't articulate more than a few inches before the standard arches get in the way, mainly because they stick out too far in relation to the wheel arch (wheels are 8" wide and negative 7mm offset) rather than the diameter as such.

You'd probably need to 'camel cut' the rear of the rear wheel arches, especailly if they're on Modulars or eight spokes (more off-set than standard wheels).

I'd be more worried about the lip on the inside of the rear wheel arche, where the door closes, this will definately need trimming. You may well also need to trim the front of the front arches, and bumper end caps (or remove them!).

It does all depend on wheel offset, on standard wheels you might get away with it, but have the turning circle of the Jahre Viking, more sticky-out wheels will cure the turning circle, but possibly give you rubbing.

Good luck!

High or low fuel filler position?

If it is the high one then I think you will find that your bump travel will be so limited as to not be worth the bother.

I acquired a set of 255 BFG's and was dead keen on fitting them to my Rangie (in the days before she was bobtailed) but gave up when I realised how much work is needed. They also fouled the front wings / sills at the rear of the front wheel arch. They were on 8 spokes.

Without major work I think the best compromise fit on a RR is 235 x 85 which only require minor alterations to the rear wheel arches and steering stops.

We've got a range rover bobtail pickup, with a 3 inch suspension and 3 inch body lift which is actually 4 inch, 35 inch kuhmo tyres and on the back, on full axle articulation the back of the wheel arch just rubs so it needs cutting out, i was very surprised how well the 35-12.50 tyres fitted in the arches.

post-7852-1211134109_thumb.jpg

They do look good dan. I was thinking about 35's but I'll stick to 33 as the biggest i'll go, really I need to try and fit a set of 255/85/16 on to make sure before I buy,

if theres too many issues with them then i'll stick to 265/75/16's as I don't get any problems with them.

And to add my 2 pennorth,

I have 235/85/16 special tracks on, standing 33" tall.

4" suspension lift, no arches and Just clear everywhere.

I am going to do arches and turn the disco steels inside out

like this picture

from rangerovers.net

classic33.jpg