Help - Broken down

Soon be mobile again then, well done, the satisfaction of knowing it's done right & by yourself is worth the effort :D

By myself but not guranteed to be right. In fact I will be pooing myself the first time I take it for a drive after all this. Are the bearings too tight? did I tighten the hub nut up too much/not enough? Will the gaskets hold out? Is the diff properly in? etc etc.

I now have the hub complete, wheels back on, brakes bled and diff filled with oil but I'm a bit confused about filling the swivel hub with oil...

My Haynes manual clearly states that I should have a drain plug, level plug and filler plug. I can't for the life of me find the filler plug so just filled it up from the level plug until it started to come out.

mw8qwx.jpg

Now just need to put the propshaft back on (short bit to the front afaik) and I am done.

Well done in making it this far. Great sense of satisfaction isn't it. :)

My Haynes manual clearly states that I should have a drain plug, level plug and filler plug. I can't for the life of me find the filler plug so just filled it up from the level plug until it started to come out.

It's possible you don't have a drain plug. just do as you did and fill it up

Now just need to put the propshaft back on (short bit to the front afaik) and I am done.

Sliding joint nearest the transfer box, to keep it out of the mud.

Well, for the first time in a week I sat in the landy rather than under it and it was fantastic. :D

A big thank you to everyone who helped me through this. I really appreciate the time taken to answer questions, take photos and generally give postive advice which helped me from running about waving my arms like a loon shouting "I'm doomed" or sobbing by the side of the road.

A week ago I was yet to change the oil in the diff and now I have done so much more and learnt an amazing amount, one of them being that a diff is pretty heavy and hurts your face when you take it out. :blush: and the other that I really like the smell of EP80/90.

I have two three final questions:

1) Should I check the diff/swivel oil levels in a week to make sure they are still ok?

2) Where is the best place to get a tap and die set from as I need to tap one of the holes on the diff that hold the h shaped Track rod protection bracket and I am sure I will need it for other tasks.

3) I'm going to replace the propshaft nuts and bolts as some of them are a bit tired, but was wondering if there is an easy way to get the bolts out at the transfer box end as they are stuck behind a lip.

thank you,

mad

Hi

Congratulations :)

Answers:

1) You could do, won't hurt...

2)I got a fairly comprehensive metric one from screwfix that was much better quality than I thought it would be, you can buy individual T&D as and when you need them...

3) You will need to remove the output flange, while you're at it you could replace the oil seal too (buy genuine!)

Mike