OT (also "ish") Rising fuel costs

Megasquirt could probably do it natively.

This is why I'm quite interested in it. The idea of a cheap old LPG setup, a couple of extra injectors and then running on free fuel is rather tempting. For long hauls I could stick a couple of gas canisters in a Sankey :o

Any ideas on how to capture and compress the gas, my best guess is a fridge compressor but not sure if that's such a safe idea? :unsure:

Any ideas on how to capture and compress the gas, my best guess is a fridge compressor but not sure if that's such a safe idea? :unsure:

A/C compressor is the most obvious. It's not going to liquify it - but can deliver 10 bar - so a reasonable storage density.

Interestingly, at my Uni - two research professors ahve just finished their year long sabbaticals. They have come up with some new incredibly efficient electric motor - around 90% - but had to take a sabbatical otherwise the Uni would get all the money/credit.

I'll update everyone when I see them again in Sept...

Good thinking simonr. Couple that with a EGR system and you have something that makes the o-zone happy as well. It still beats walking or being held to ransom. Suppose one would need to have a way to compress the refuse before you take in on-board or even better ..... a way to re-work the refuse into airable chips of some sort to feed into the burner.

The way people drive in this part of the world you'd soon end up with a hot cylinder on your lap. But as you said .... not neccesarily intended for town driving.

Wikus

Planet Mechanics on youtube...

I'm sure I saw a picture of a Series Two(?) not long ago with a wood gas generator attached to the back. IIRC it was in Switzerland. The generator was quite substantial and would have required quite a large attachment to the rear X-member, and apparently all the space in the back was taken up with logs!

Goodness knows what the language is, and this wasn't the picture I remember (this is a smaller neater unit!) - Land Rover Wood Gas Genny

Not the neatest conversion...

Try looking in the top right corner of the page, you can switch between the languages :lol:

Well not the article though, but as you can see you can choose either english or thai.

/tony

Friend of mine with a 2004 TD5 just had LPG fitted.

It runs half diesel & half gas and supposedly gives better economy and a smidge more power.

We're doing about a 1200km trip to Fraser Island in a fortnight so that should give us a good indication of the fuel savings and I'll post the results when we get back.

Cheers :)