Sumo bars as my Xmas present

Ben Jordan

My Mrs has failed to get me the present that i wanted in time for Christmas, Maybe thats because i didnt make my mind up in time? Two weeks i thought would be plenty!

Anyway as a back up present i am thinking about her getting me a Sumo track rod and drag link with the steering damper relocation kit. Where is the cheapest place to get these from?

I bought mine from QT Services. From what I remember at the time the prices were much of a muchness i.e. identical from whichever Sumo Bar agent you got them from. Nice bits of kit. Arguments will rage as to which are stronger (Sumo, Dan bars etc.) but the big advantage of Sumo bars is they do away with the time honoured problem of seized TREs and make track adjustment a doddle.

When i bent the std arm on the defender, i went for Sumo's via QT services,, good service,,and the same price as all the other suppliers !!!

Saying that,, i did bent a sumo while at Bampton,within 6 months :angry: , there used to be a rumor, that they were warranted against bending,, but not the case, although they did do a deal on a replacment :)

sumobar.jpg

exeter4x4store 01392445262

the'll post anywhere and are competitive.

from the drivers seat the ones on your left are lefthand thread and on the right right handed.

So that should be x2 left x2 right on the Rangie the drop arm has a seperate ball joint IIRC

Anyway as a back up present i am thinking about her getting me a Sumo track rod and drag link with the steering damper relocation kit.

Unless Sumo have radically re-designed their damper re-location kit, I'd leave this well alone. It's badly designed and poorly made. I fitted one but ended up making my own when the Sumo one caused the end of my new OME damper to break off.

Tim's bar may have had more of a chance if he had the diff mounted bracket that restrains the bar at its mid length if it trys to bend.

Alternatively, fit the QT diff guard that has this bracket built in.

Having said that, the way Tim drives, there wasn't really much hope of it surviving....... :ph34r:;)

I just went to a Disco/RR type droparm/trackrod end arrangement since the drop arm ball joints kept dying every 6 months. I've got a generic Sumo-type bar although it's not exactly the same, bought from a bloke at a show, cheap. I ordered the damper relocation kit from QT Services, £20 delivered, but it doesn't fit my arm very well. I installed it vertical and packed it with cut-off bits of jubilee clip in the interim but it seems to be working its way down behind the arm slowly.

21122005224.jpg

Also, does this look like a sensible amount of thread showing on the TREs? There's 10 threads inside the bar. With the swan-neck and Ninety drop arm I couldn't get full right lock (drag link too long), now I've got full travel but I'm worried it's overextended. Thoughts?

I just went to a Disco/RR type droparm/trackrod end arrangement since the drop arm ball joints kept dying every 6 months. I've got a generic Sumo-type bar although it's not exactly the same, bought from a bloke at a show, cheap. I ordered the damper relocation kit from QT Services, £20 delivered, but it doesn't fit my arm very well. I installed it vertical and packed it with cut-off bits of jubilee clip in the interim but it seems to be working its way down behind the arm slowly.

21122005224.jpg

Also, does this look like a sensible amount of thread showing on the TREs? There's 10 threads inside the bar. With the swan-neck and Ninety drop arm I couldn't get full right lock (drag link too long), now I've got full travel but I'm worried it's overextended. Thoughts?

Is this the Qt or sumo damper relocation kit? If its moving on the bar i suppose its not very good.

Unless Sumo have radically re-designed their damper re-location kit, I'd leave this well alone. It's badly designed and poorly made. I fitted one but ended up making my own when the Sumo one caused the end of my new OME damper to break off.

Kev have you got any pics of your current steering damper set up?

Can anybody recommend a good damper relocation kit?

I have herd that it is possible to relocate the damper using Defender parts would this be a better option?

I have brought a new Qt front diff guard and it won't fit with the steering damper in it's current location hence the need to move it.

I have the QT clamp on a Sumo bar as shown by Turbo charger and have had problems with it in 2 years.

I welded (well, not actually me :P ) a bracket to the chassis to pivk up the other end of the damper having cribbed dimensions from a defender.