Defender 2007 rattles and groans

Now that the better weather lets me drive with the windows open, I have noticed a worrying rattle which appears to come from the passenger side of the vehicle whenever i drive over any uneven surface even on the tar. Sounds a bit like a loose exhaust. I have checked underneath the vehicle and can find no evidence of anything loose which could rattle. Took the vehicle to the garage to have it checked under warranty terms but they said they couldn't find anything either. Anyone else notice this or have any ideas, or am I just paranoid? On a similar note, if you'll excuse the pun, I also think the sound from the air intake on the drivers side sounds like a gasket has blown, but again the garage said that was normal. Can anyone else with this model confirm the same?

Tom

Now that the better weather lets me drive with the windows open, I have noticed a worrying rattle which appears to come from the passenger side of the vehicle whenever i drive over any uneven surface even on the tar. Sounds a bit like a loose exhaust. I have checked underneath the vehicle and can find no evidence of anything loose which could rattle. Took the vehicle to the garage to have it checked under warranty terms but they said they couldn't find anything either. Anyone else notice this or have any ideas, or am I just paranoid? On a similar note, if you'll excuse the pun, I also think the sound from the air intake on the drivers side sounds like a gasket has blown, but again the garage said that was normal. Can anyone else with this model confirm the same?

Tom

Yes I have the same rattle, as did the TD5 110 XS I had before it. I can't say I noticed the same with the umpteen other Defender's I've had but that might just be my memory. The intake rumble is another

characteristic more noticeable with the window down time to find something else to worry about ;)

On a similar note, if you'll excuse the pun, I also think the sound from the air intake on the drivers side sounds like a gasket has blown, but again the garage said that was normal. Can anyone else with this model confirm the same?

Tom

Tom. i have/had the same noise, see My Thread Here from about post 27 on,, now with the RAI fitted is not so noticeable, !! but they all sound the same !!

Tom

Tom:

About the rattle on uneven surface: when moving push the brake pedal a bit. If the noise stops then you have a problem on the brake pad retainers. The dealer should change the set pad.

Mack