Gauges & mounting pods

66gaza

Hi all, I have just bought an EGT & a boost gauge (Autometer) and I am looking at the different places to put them. I have searched and not found many pics. A 4 way supposedly from Europa but I am unable to find it on there web site (4 way as I will be getting more gauges) and a 3 way one available from eblag. I have thought of fitting a 3 way one to the left of the steering column but obviously inverted as I can see through the steering wheel and slightly to the left all 3 gauges would be visible (atleast it was when I sat in the driving seat holding a gauge in the 3 locations). I will probably get the gauge mounts that tilt the gauges slightly toward the driver aswell. I have to duck and look under the steering wheel to see all of the clock. I will be happy to move the clock to the centre next to the cigarette lighter but any gauge I fit there will be only 1/2 visible.

I rather fancy a fuel pressure gauge as I think it might be quite usefull but nowhere in my searching on this site have I seen any reference to one.

I did think about a tacho but wonder how useful it would be, can those that have one recommend one? my alternator has a smaller diameter pulley to increase charging at low rpm's so I would need a tacho I could calibrate. So if that left room for 1 more gauge what would be the best choice? I would possibly choose oil pressure. Those with electrical gauges have they been reliable? Does a mechanical oil pressure gauge need to be bled? or how else would it give an accurate reading and if so do the gauges come with a bleed nipple, sorry if this seems like a daft Q but I have never seen a mechanical oil pressure gauge in the flesh. Thanks

Gaza

A Mud Dash Console is about the best place to put gauges & switches etc.

They are fairly cheap in comparison to some others out there. I have one that I am steadily building up. They come as a blank face, so you have the ability to customise it to your needs.

I have drilled out the holes for 3 52mm gauges in the top recess, and these are perfectly in line with the existing gauges in the dash.

See it HERE

Martin

Thanks for the replies, I like the pod Mike posted and its cheap and I can get one a couple of miles from where I live, on the other hand the MUD ones look good but expensive (do we get a forum discount?) these would cover a join in my dash which has given me a headache since forever and would allow me room to expand my gauges/swithches if & when.

Gaza

bloody nora ralph.................................... im surprised with that lot in the cab that you still have power to get the 110 started!!!

I'll second that!! For Gods sake Ralph, how in touch does one man need to be? Impressive stuff, no idea what half of it is or does but it certainly looks good :)

--

On the helpful side Demon Tweeks do loads of different pods at half reasonable money...

Will :)

4 gauge pod from Europs Spares here I've got one in my 110, on top of the dash & right of the ashtray.

Wow, can you give us a clue as to what all this is for? I have never seen so much electronics in a landrover before.

Gaza

Wow, can you give us a clue as to what all this is for? I have never seen so much electronics in a landrover before.

Gaza

:rofl: got another rig to fit yet --UK General frequencies in it.

right in the main instrument pack is Speedo, rev counter,temp gauge,fuel gauge.

on top of dash from left of pod is voltmeter [Vehicle batt/charging system], voltmeter [winch batt], oil temp gauge,oil pressure gauge, below the pod is

[145mhz vhf]]2metre/[440mhz uhf]70cm amatuer rig, next to it is the handsfree phone, below the dash in front of park brake lever is 4m [70mhz vhf] to the left is 6m [50mhz vhf] both amatuer rigs & good old UK/Euro Cept freq CB, on front of the cubbybox is my MSA rally safety radio on [81mhz] vhf & nearly forgot the normal car stereo radio/cassette & the Garmin 12XL gps unit, I'm also able with my ram mount & 350watt inverter to have the laptop running memorymap onboard too.

that should give you lots to think about :i-m_so_happy::i-m_so_happy:

Thanks for the replies, I like the pod Mike posted and its cheap and I can get one a couple of miles from where I live, on the other hand the MUD ones look good but expensive (do we get a forum discount?) these would cover a join in my dash which has given me a headache since forever and would allow me room to expand my gauges/swithches if & when.

Gaza

Where are you Gaza ? I'm only five min walk from Autoplus.

mike

Not OTT, it's all used at various times, always have the 2/70 rig on when travelling any long distance, doesn't bother ATC at all in factt the bird control team asked me to advise them on a scanner antenna recently.