Steering Box Seal

remove the drop arm & dig out the old seal & fit the new seal, then refit the drop arm.

I had a similar leakage on mine for some months ago. Gosh how I leaked.!!!! I guess the purpose was to MARK my territory.. B) ... In the driveway,,, at work... at a friend's house.. in the neigbour's driveway and in the streets... At the shopping mall... . Well Honestly.. I would buy a new one.. adwest.. I got mine to Norway to about £240... Nike....Just do it...Les has s thread somewhere here where he said it is possible to change the seals but it is a shortlived project...

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/d...Defender005.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/d...gsandPAS001.jpg

This is it......... :rolleyes:

:ph34r: And les i forget.. don't try removing the drop arm..... I know what I am talking about.... I have a thread here on that subject..

Removal of drop arm= Whacking the breath out of the PAS

Which leads to => more leakages and seals destruction...

And Allignment problems => further to readjusting which breaks the locktight on the bolt on top of PAS( I will repeat this)

which leads to => destruction of seals on the alignment bolt on top of PAS

and even more leakages... => leads to buying a new one.. how many months..... 2 months... I wish I could swear now.. But I must still behave.... :huh:

:unsure:

Dear g90... I do agree perfectly well... This is a world of uncertainties and imbalances and unfairness,,,,,, I cried and wept woefully when I bought the PAS.. I borrowed cash from friends... and drank loads of soups.. WAter.. and cheap bread for sale... God save us all...

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll194/d...rDropArm036.jpg

Old PAS.. :rolleyes:

If the leak is not too bad try a cap full of brake fluid in the PAS reservior- swells the seals and stops some leaks... Yes it does actually work no snake oil involved!

I have never bothered to replace the seals as everyone I have ever spoken to who has done it has found themselves doing the same again about 3 months later...

You certainly can change them successfully, the seals on my old Discovery had to be done when it was nearly new and I sold it 60,000 miles later with the same (completely dry) steering box. The main thing is to do it sooner rather than later as otherwise dirt seems to get drawn into the seal where it is leaking and scores the shaft, and then it is scrap...

From what I have seen at work where they are done quite often with reasonable success, the best things to recommend are

1) Take the box out and do it in the vice as trying to do it in the vehicle is a waste of time you are working upside down and will not get it right

2) Make sure everything is spotlessly clean

3) make sure there are no nicks and scratches on the shaft to damage the seal on the way in or it WILL leak!

4) You will need a F great big puller to get the droparm off if it has been on there a while!

I have also seen people wrap the shaft with a layer of insulating tape to slide the seal down over without damaging - a bit of oil helps things along too :)

thank you all

how easy is it to remove the box itself? and i presume the you wrestle the old seal out with a screwdriver?

to avoid weeping and crying i will try the replacing the seal before i do anything rash like buy a new box

You certainly can change them successfully, the seals on my old Discovery had to be done when it was nearly new and I sold it 60,000 miles later with the same (completely dry) steering box. The main thing is to do it sooner rather than later as otherwise dirt seems to get drawn into the seal where it is leaking and scores the shaft, and then it is scrap...

From what I have seen at work where they are done quite often with reasonable success, the best things to recommend are

1) Take the box out and do it in the vice as trying to do it in the vehicle is a waste of time you are working upside down and will not get it right

2) Make sure everything is spotlessly clean

3) make sure there are no nicks and scratches on the shaft to damage the seal on the way in or it WILL leak!

4) You will need a F great big puller to get the droparm off if it has been on there a while!

I have also seen people wrap the shaft with a layer of insulating tape to slide the seal down over without damaging - a bit of oil helps things along too :)

:blink: Bogmaster describes the task like an ABC job.... :o ....Too many easy descriptions here Bmaster.... Even Les Says it simply returns to leaking like wild honey even when seals are changed... ;) In my case a little ring seal solved the whole problem.. But I still bought a new BOX.. To avoid going into that hole once again... The old one is a reserve or if I get too broke I might sell it.. Good Luck g90.... :P