Getting someone else to replace the rear cross member

I am currently looking (not very successfully) for a Defender 90/110. At the moment, I trying to steer away from anything with a dodgy rear cross member. However, I am finding that many of the vehicles in my price range that I've seen on the web that are otherwise very good, either could do with the the cross member being replaced, or have had patching done (which I don't really like).

How much can I expect to having someone supply and do a jolly good job of fitting a new rear cross member?

It will depend much on the crossmember you ask to be fitted.

Once you have that pinned down (I would suggest a genuine one) then your paying for the best part of a weeknds labour.

Should give you some idea, and "No Thankyou" ...........should a question be popping into your mind :lol:

Nige

• 2 weeks later...
Guest otchie1
It will depend much on the crossmember you ask to be fitted.

Once you have that pinned down (I would suggest a genuine one) then your paying for the best part of a weeknds labour.

Should give you some idea, and "No Thankyou" ...........should a question be popping into your mind :lol:

Nige

Set me back £550 on my 110 CSW all done with new mud flaps and rust proofing thrown in.

Apparently it's less for a 90 as it's easier.

Paul Rutter down near Chichester did mine.

I think Chris of Before "N" After Rustproofing has some ideas about this subject! :lol:

Anyway seriously, get a few quotes and compare prices. I got my 110's crossmeber replaced by Les recently and I am happy with the work and price.

Steve

I think Chris of Before "N" After Rustproofing has some ideas about this subject! :lol:

Anyway seriously, get a few quotes and compare prices. I got my 110's crossmeber replaced by Les recently and I am happy with the work and price.

Steve

Yeah I think Chris mentioned Les did crossmembers somewhere.

Guest otchie1

ahhh, that was just rust-proofing for the new bit, not the whole chassis. Before n After would've been nice but not this side of a small lottery win :(

Guest otchie1
If you are replacing the crossmember with a new one that has extensions, then in my opinion the 110 crossmember is easier than the 90 to actually weld on, but having to remove the fuel tank on a 110 kind-of cancels that out.

Les.

and there's the rub. I got the distinct impression that many garages overbid the job on a 110 'cos the simply don't want it. Highest bid for the work was just shy of £1000. I didn't realise I still had that tatooed on my forehead :angry:

See Henson -

We keep telling you "You're Cheap" and you get humpy :P

Nige

Well put it this way, it was still worth the cost of the diesel, and the return train fare to London!

Les is a diamond and to get over any guilt feelings I have about a good job done for a cheap price I hereby promise and do solemnly swear to buy Les a pint the next time I see him!

Steve