Body earth.

The earth for the lights is within the wiring loom Mike. Earth strap from the starter (or near to it), is connected to the chassis, and therefore onto the bodywork. There are many earth points off the body for the various earth wires - for the rear lights there's a nearby earth point with a short jump wire for the various bulbs. I would say that it would be the same for the front lights too - although I don't know the location of it.

Les.

Les. There is no wire from the battery to the body :rolleyes:

I'm assuming that the lights, on the body, get their earth from the various rusty :o connections where the body is attatched to the chassis.

Would it be prudent to put an earth from the battery straight to the body as well as the other points.

mike

Guest diesel_jim

The lights all have their "own" earths (the black cables) that route back and pretty much get connected together somewhere down the line.

Also, on the rear lights, there is a bolt-terminal on the bodywork itself that the black's connect to with a ring terminal.

Yes Jim I know that. However the body isn't connected to the battery. Well not on mine. So as you say"somewhere down the linew" Where is that line ?? :blink:

The earths from the battery go to the chassis. The body sits on the chassis, so I'm presuming the lights, whichas you all say and I already know are earthed to the body, so the lights must earth at the places where the body sits on the chassis. Faith hope and charity I think.

For what it costs I think I'll add a body earth.

mike

the front lights are earthed by a ring terminal [part of front lights loom] to the vertical inner side panel visible from the headlight bowl hole [obviously with the light removed]. rear lights are earthed to the left & right wheel arch box behind the small light protector panels in the rear corners, these are connected within the looms to the bulkhead earth adajcent to the fuel filter, the body is earther to the chassis via all it's attachment bolts, the only earth leads on my 110 are from battery -ve to gearbox/transferbox joint & from left chassis part of engine mount to the alternator/power steering pump bracket/engine block. I haven't found any other earth's between the body/chassis other than ones I've added for various additions.

Of course all of the above assumes that the wiring is still as per the Land Rover build spec.!

My 1988 110 has had some 'work' done on the electrics, and it now takes me the best part of a morning to trace any electrical fault! I might as well throw away the wiring diagram.

Of course all of the above assumes that the wiring is still as per the Land Rover build spec.!

My 1988 110 has had some 'work' done on the electrics, and it now takes me the best part of a morning to trace any electrical fault! I might as well throw away the wiring diagram.

Apart from the headlights and the stuff that comes off the aux battery...Yes it is original.

You're lucky. There isn't a wiring diagram for a 1995 build 110 Defender. You have to use two different ones and work things out for yorself.

mike

Mind if I join you, Mike ? A short earth from seat box to negative terminal ought to do the trick :)

Mo

Not at all Mo.

I've suddenly realised that I'll have at least three relays in there.

Makes sense to add a 6mm stud for the earths.

Ive started the new battery box.

For those interested it's here...

http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php?topic=369337.0

Helpful comments welcome.

mike

Guest diesel_jim

Mike, i was looking at the seatbox i've bought for my 110 (It's a Td5 box) and it's got a couple of studs welded into the bottom of it, with little screw on "nuts", obviously there to attach earth rings to.

sounds like a good idea IMO. also, i reckon putting an earth strap to the bulkhead (although previous rovers of mine have had these) onto the chassis should help things too.

Mike, i was looking at the seatbox i've bought for my 110 (It's a Td5 box) and it's got a couple of studs welded into the bottom of it, with little screw on "nuts", obviously there to attach earth rings to.

sounds like a good idea IMO. also, i reckon putting an earth strap to the bulkhead (although previous rovers of mine have had these) onto the chassis should help things too.

Well I'm pleased so far.Two batteries are in for fitting.

Quite a bit more room.

I'll be taking it to bits agian for more measurements.

mike

Guest diesel_jim
What size studs Jim

6mm or 8mm ?

mike

6mm. i've not got the box here at the moment otherwise i'd measure their location (i took all my panels into the stray shop yesterday), but it's on a Td5 seatbox under the RH seat (just realised it's the ECU side, but obviously it must "earth" verious crucial cables for the engine management that need it, so it wouldn't hurt to do it for the rest of the vehicle either)

the nut thing is a plastic nut, whether this is done for electrical insulation, not sure. (ie, something falling on it)...