Roof level storage?

I have this idea of trying to find a suitable cargo net and stretching it across the top of the back - fixing to there the roof attaches to the sides.

It would only carry light things like camping mats, cagoules etc. since I am aware of need to keep high level weight down but seems a good place for light but bulky things.

Has anyone done this before and if so where did they get the net from? From what I can see the net needs to be about 1000mm x 1300mm to cover the space and I might put in some additional support for the middle by clipping into the section that runs lengthwise along the roof. It would need to be strong since I do not think the dog would appreciate it snapping mid journey even if it is only camping mats that fell on him!!

Any thoughts would be most appreciated

Malcy

I have a Halfords elasticated net up in the roof of my 110, hooked to the dog guard & side window trim panels, just to stow 3 x hi-vis weatherproof coats.

some pictures just taken

1st a overall view of the loadbay

2nd & 3rd of each side

4th a close up

post-20-1212921738_thumb.jpg

post-20-1212921790_thumb.jpg

post-20-1212921827_thumb.jpg

post-20-1212921852_thumb.jpg

Mike - the white wire basket came from Tesco kitchen stuff IIRC, it was a bit to wide front to back so I made it shorter to suit where I wanted to put it.

Malcy - big sledge has it's uses & it has 2 smaller brothers in the far right toolbox. :D

Guest noggy
Malcy - big sledge has it's uses & it has 2 smaller brothers in the far right toolbox. :D

i read that as:

"Malcy - big sledge has it's uses on my 2 smaller brothers in the far right toolbox. :D"

i bet all that weight in the back of your 110 slows you down a bit!

i read that as:

"Malcy - big sledge has it's uses on my 2 smaller brothers in the far right toolbox. :D "

i bet all that weight in the back of your 110 slows you down a bit!

:rofl:

110 carries it all the time as I can't be bothered to unload/reload everytime I attend a rally on recovery duty, I don't rush around anywhere in it as it's not a racer :unsure:

I have to say having been in the truck, Ralph has the suspension setup so that you don't notice the weight in the back and it travels fine..

But there is a hell of a lot of gear in there ! :)

Neil

Malcy,

I also use a net across the top. It's good for coats, sleeping bags, sleeping mats etc. too but you may find that you'll need to thread a few bungee cords through it to keep it tight to the roof. I got mine from Ebay.

HTH

Mo

Hi guys,

Here is mine, made from old cargo barrier, fixed with 3 hose clamps (front, M6) and 2 brackets (rear sides, M8). I've tested different setups, that one seems the best for my needs. Additional sliders go under to fix camping table, and "quick boxes/shoe racks :) " on sides accesible via sliding windows (not shown on pics).

post-3444-1213075355_thumb.jpg post-3444-1213075518_thumb.jpg post-3444-1213075540_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Ruslan