measuring maps

sotal

Someone else asked me this and I couldn't give them an answer,

Basically they want to know how far it is round an off road track, they can't get access to the track to just drive round and watch the odometer, but they can get an aerial view of it from google maps, along with a scale.

As a quick bodge I used photoshop to paste the scale over and over again to get the full distance, but I thought there must be some software to do this my first click at either end of the scale and entering the distance, then clicking round the track.

Anything obvious I'm missing here?

Guest diesel_jim

If the track is shown on memory map, you can click the "route" around it and it'll show you (roughly) distance travelled.

Guest WALFY

I think you can also do distance on Google Earth. I'm sure on the course I did last year that was how we measured distances when it came to doing our calcs for distance/time/speed.

Guest WALFY
Use a piece of string. Cut to length, then measure from the map scale.

Good old fashioned way of doing it.

mike

Mike that is OK ish but you have to be carefull about stretch in the string. Better way to do it is using a sheet of paper and a pencil.

EXPL

Make a small mark on the edge of the paper. This will become the start point. Place this on your start point and place the edge along the track/road you want to use. Where the track/road leaves the edge of the paper make a mark. Rotate paper so it again lines up with the route and continue. You will end up with a sheet of paper with lots of pencil marks on it. Move to the base of the map to the scale line and measure your track length.

Mike that is OK ish but you have to be carefull about stretch in the string. Better way to do it is using a sheet of paper and a pencil.

EXPL

Make a small mark on the edge of the paper. This will become the start point. Place this on your start point and place the edge along the track/road you want to use. Where the track/road leaves the edge of the paper make a mark. Rotate paper so it again lines up with the route and continue. You will end up with a sheet of paper with lots of pencil marks on it. Move to the base of the map to the scale line and measure your track length.

mem map or Walfys bit above plus the string all work well.

Guest WALFY
We found that the string was the most accurate when workinhg mileages out for an RAC MSA road rally permit.

Devideres set at 1 tenth of a mile on the map scale also works.

mike

I'll bow to your prior knowledge then Mike. When we teach the younger blokes at work the string method is WAY off for accurate readings and the paper method is used as there is not a lot that they can do to get an accurate reading. With the string they just pull and pull and then get a false reading

Guest diesel_jim

I was taught the "edge of paper" trick as well.... makes life easier as you (should) always have a notepad handy, and it saves cutting up bits of bootlace :lol::lol:

Guest WALFY
I was taught the "edge of paper" trick as well.... makes life easier as you (should) always have a notepad handy, and it saves cutting up bits of bootlace :lol::lol:

But you were a STAB so everything had to e made easy for you :P:P:P:P:P:P:P