200TDi or 300TDi

hello again!!

i have currently purchased a spanking 90 with a 2.25 pertrol enigne.

i am thinking about upgrading to either a 200 or 300 tdi.

Any suggestions which one is better? does the 300 have an ECU?

At this stage i want to assume that money is grown on trees and so the tech pro and cons are welcome.

Many thanks

Neil

hello again!!

i have currently purchased a spanking 90 with a 2.25 pertrol enigne.

i am thinking about upgrading to either a 200 or 300 tdi.

Any suggestions which one is better? does the 300 have an ECU?

At this stage i want to assume that money is grown on trees and so the tech pro and cons are welcome.

Many thanks

Neil

i personely think that the 200tdi goes longer and is more reliable to an extent,but the 300 has a little better performance and is quieter running apparentley?? but the 200 can be tweaked with minimul effort to be quicker than the 300tdi,really i wouldnt like the call,but id end up with the 200 as i think its more simple than the 300, wait for the experts to come anyway ;)

Guest diesel_jim

If you get the non EGR 300 (so there are no electronics) or just dispose of the EGR stuff if you get one that has got it, then they (200 and 300) are both as "simple" as each other.

there may be 100's of different parts internally, but they're more or less the same engine. 300 has serpentine belts where all but the very last of the 200's had V belts.

300's are newer, although a fullt rebuilt 200 is as good as "new" anyway.

200 will be easier to fit... will bolt directly to your gearbox and engine mounts, meaning no gearbox/floor/propshaft changing. just the exhaust (well, at least the downpipe) and the radiator/intercooler pack.

and fuel pipes.

I have a 300 in my defender, which is awesome! Goes like a dream, is easy to tweak & has the strength of 1000 Gazelles.

Saying that, the Defender was in for works which I got back today (nothing wrong, just upgrading bushes & intercooler) and whilst it has been away I borrowed the garages 200 Disco. It had 280k on the clock & pulled like it had about 1/10th of that.

My garage swears by the 200. They are convinced they are the best motor ever built by LR.

I did find that the gearbox on the 200 was a bit of a lucky dip though, takes quite a lot of getting used to after the R380.

If I were to have to make the choice again, I would still stick with the 300 though.

Martin

I'll stay with the 300 Tdi. More parts available and cheaper too, try buying a new 200 Tdi head for example. 300 will bolt straight to an LT77 with a Tdi bell housing. 200s seem to have a fondness for head gaskets too.

Mo

i cant see it making that much difference personally, theres limited difference between the engines and a majority of parts being used in the same base block for the past enternity, different opinions are formed on the unlucky few but shorely the amount of outright failures are limited to abuse and improper servicing.theyve both got there individual issues but if anyone would like to enlighten us to an engine that hasnt, im pretty sure theyd have a fair few beer tokens sent their way. having driven many of both id say the choice is down to parts and what you can get source at the time which has been properly looked after.

*rant over*

andy

I'm very happy with my 200Tdi. If it's for a conversion I would go for 200Tdi as it's easier to fit. But it's also a question of budget available, availability etc.

Something else to consider....with the curent diesel prices and may be proposed ban (would not be surpised it happens sometime in future?) on older diesel vehicles without filters etc. I would not invest to much in an old type engine myself. Here in Holland cities like Amsterdam are trying to get rid of older vehicles (not yet sucessful).

Have you considered a LPG conversion?

One thing that would sway me would be that they stopped fitting 200s 14 years ago, but 300s were fitted to ROW spec defenders until quite recently (so fitted for about 13 years). So in the future spare parts will probably be easier to come by for 300s.