V8 Clutch

simontwithers

I have searched the previous posts on which clutch to use when mounting a sd1 v8 with sd1 flywheel to a series 2a box and was happy that i needed a 9.5" s2a clutch.

However i spoke to a helpful guy at the eastnor show last wk end who said he had used the sd1 clutch.

This got me thinking.

The sd1 clutch was designed to handle the 160hp engine in a pretty heavy car. Will the series clutch be able to hold twice as much power as it was originally designed for ???

Has anybody had any issues with clutch slippage??

I will be fitting all new clutch parts.

The clutch is one of the few bits i have left to order before i start the swap, just want to be sure before i order.

Thanks in advance, Simon

Simon,

I used the 9.5in clutch on my Series conversion many moons ago.

The clutch is not the weak link - the gearbox is... So upgrading the clutch to handle moochos torque is pointless - you will just get shot in the leg with shrapnel as it flies out of the series box.

My Timeline went a little something like...

• Fitted V8 and gradually (well, when I say gradually... over a period of minutes :P ) increase "right foot" pressure.
  • Ping halfshaft.
  • Replace with similar 10 spline item.
  • Ping the new one...
  • Fit a KAM diff etc to back axle to strengthen / better distribute torque.
  • Get carried away with doughnuts (both varieties).
  • Ping gearbox
  • Replace gearbox and learn to behave a bit..... ;)

I'd be reluctant to run the SD1 flywheel in a LR, they're a bit light so not great for trickling over obstacles at tickover like you should be able to. Got fed up with mine on the 3.9 and ditched it when I fitted the 4.6, admittedly the 4.6 has a bit more torque anyway :ph34r: but it's much nicer with the heavy flywheel. IIRC you have to run a longer release bearing with the SD1 clutch too, rather than the standard part.

Never had a problem with the 3.9 and the Series clutch, as has been said you need to learn mechanical sympathy or admit early that you really should just fit an LT77 or R380 with RR clutch and call it done. Olden days that was an expensive option, today it just doesn't add up to cling to the Series drivetrain.

• 2 months later...
I'd be reluctant to run the SD1 flywheel in a LR, they're a bit light so not great for trickling over obstacles at tickover like you should be able to. Got fed up with mine on the 3.9 and ditched it when I fitted the 4.6, admittedly the 4.6 has a bit more torque anyway :ph34r: but it's much nicer with the heavy flywheel. IIRC you have to run a longer release bearing with the SD1 clutch too, rather than the standard part.

Never had a problem with the 3.9 and the Series clutch, as has been said you need to learn mechanical sympathy or admit early that you really should just fit an LT77 or R380 with RR clutch and call it done. Olden days that was an expensive option, today it just doesn't add up to cling to the Series drivetrain.

FF is correct though on road my RRC flywheel is a pain to change gear fast on road as it holds the revs up high but it will come to a halt on tickover in low box and pull away without dipping the clutch.

Mine is Jag and no problems just need to redrill the flywheel if using a RRC one as it is larger.

Marc.