parapolics or not

raymo

Hi, I have a series 3 ,88, diesel

I need to change / up grade my rear suspension , I like to off road a little but nothing to serious , however i do from time to time use a roof rack with a lot of weight on it , camping etc.

I was thinking ,heavy duty parabolics , with 1 ton shackles .

does this sound ok.

also do i need new shocks to fit the above ,if so what would you recommend.

Thanks

Parabolics will lift your truck about an inch or so anyway, then military/1-ton shackles will lift it about the same again, so you are looking at a 2" lift in total. If you use the standard springs they will seriously affect axle articulation, so I would go +2" shocks.

Parabolics are good - better than girly coils anyway :lol:

Les.

It's one I couldn't find a decent answer for, I ended up replacing my springs with new standard springs, for two reasons:

1) Someone else got a set of parabolics at the time I was building mine, and moaned about them, I went out with him in the series and they felt awful, on road they were really bumpy (to stiff?) and off road didn't feel much better.

2) Standard Springs were lots cheaper!

Since this I have read quite a bit about them and there seems to be a bit of trial and error in getting the right springs, the best number of leafs to go for etc.

I have also taken mine off road a fair few times and had no problem with articulation, and my tyres (7.50x16 - so nothing big) rub on the body on the inside of the arch, so I can't see how I could get any more articulation??

The only mod to mine over standard is that it has extended spring hangers.

I must admit to not knowing a great deal about the springs (only what I have read on forums) but I haven't been disappointed with mine, they can be a bit harsh on the road with an empty load though

It's one I couldn't find a decent answer for, I ended up replacing my springs with new standard springs, for two reasons:

1) Someone else got a set of parabolics at the time I was building mine, and moaned about them, I went out with him in the series and they felt awful, on road they were really bumpy (to stiff?) and off road didn't feel much better.

2) Standard Springs were lots cheaper!

Since this I have read quite a bit about them and there seems to be a bit of trial and error in getting the right springs, the best number of leafs to go for etc.

I have also taken mine off road a fair few times and had no problem with articulation, and my tyres (7.50x16 - so nothing big) rub on the body on the inside of the arch, so I can't see how I could get any more articulation??

The only mod to mine over standard is that it has extended spring hangers.

I must admit to not knowing a great deal about the springs (only what I have read on forums) but I haven't been disappointed with mine, they can be a bit harsh on the road with an empty load though

Thanks a mil for the reply lads

if I go with regular stock springs and the 1 ton shackles do I need to change the shocks ?

Thanks a mill for the reply lads

If I run with regular stock springs & 1 ton shackles do I need to change the shocks ?

I'm guessing the reply from most people will be yes, but I know of a few people who have just changed the shackles without changing anything else.

Wait for a few others to reply, to see if you get any more opinions as I'm sure some people have had better results with parabolics and can offer advice as to which is the best number of leaves etc

2 leaf fronts 3 leaf rears.

I wouldnt fit anything else - I've been on parabolics for years with 1 tonne shackles. IMHO standard springs are an outdated solution.

Carries the loads fine you just have to bear in mind that the factory load weights for these vehicles are not actually that great and dont overload it!

Just go with the PRo comp Es3000's that are listed for series vehicles as they're already 2" overlength.

Rear propshaft and brake lines will be fine.

Front axle you either need correctlion wedges, or to simply grind the spring pads on the axle tube to correct the castor angle. You'll need longer brake hoses, and to sor tthe front prop out. You'll also need to scallop the bellhousing crossmember for propshaft clearance. I used a 4 speed rangie front prop and shortened it to suit. The standard series one will be too short.

Jon

I've fitted parabolics to a 109 and the ride was much better. Only the front ones made funny noises... and driving the vehicle at higher speeds (motorways) did not feel as secure as before. But with normal driving the more comfortable ride is a nice improvment.

I have parabolics and standard shackles and shocks on my series 1 which are quite bouncy when on the road definatly improve ride tho and articulation off-road is much improved..... :D

On my series 3 diesel i have parabolics and military shackles there is quite alot of "sway" especially during town driving ride is very soft and smooth and off-road.... Well i have to say i'm well impressed. It whips my friends in their lifted 90's and 110's hands down every time we go out for a play, plenty articulation.....!!!! :D

I definatly recomend parabolics, military shackles and a set of pro-comp shocks....

I ran 265/75 r16's with no problems on this...

Piccys..... :D

post-4890-1213293585_thumb.jpg

post-4890-1213293636_thumb.jpg

Thread Hijack:- Like Raymo, I am also going through the Do I or Don't I of fitting parabolic springs to my series 3... Given the replies, which seem to be favouring Parabolics, is there any recommendation for best manufacturer and, more so given the cost, best place to buy...

Thanks in advance..

Mark..

I have parabolics and standard shackles and shocks on my series 1 which are quite bouncy when on the road definatly improve ride tho and articulation off-road is much improved..... :D

On my series 3 diesel i have parabolics and military shackles there is quite alot of "sway" especially during town driving ride is very soft and smooth and off-road.... Well i have to say i'm well impressed. It whips my friends in their lifted 90's and 110's hands down every time we go out for a play, plenty articulation.....!!!! :D

I definatly recomend parabolics, military shackles and a set of pro-comp shocks....

I ran 265/75 r16's with no problems on this...

Looks like alot of sway off road (or maybe the snorkle is just really heavy on that side of the Landy... :lol:

I think the sway could be due to the castor change when lifting the suspension, I fitted long shackles but went back to standard which corrected my castor, making it much nicer to drive on the road. I decided 1" extra clearance under the chassis wasn't really worth it. I have 2-leaf fronts & 3+1 rears on the 109 and it's fine, smoother than stock and OK on the rough stuff. Shocks are ES3000 but I'm looking for something a bit softer next time.

Over the last few weeks my suspension has taken some huge hits on roads and tracks, and I've just towed a car and trailer ~1000km with no problem. I can't quite keep up with Mouse on the forest tracks but then not many people can :ph34r:

As for manufacturers, search out posts from Tonk as I think he's broken most makes of parabolic :lol: mine are T I Concole, quite a few years old now and lasting well. It seems basically you get what you pay for with paras, TIC were the most expensive when I got mine but they're stood years of abuse.

Another thing to look at is anti-wrap, if you do off-roading you may find, especially at the front, that the axle tries to wrap the spring when climbing or with poor traction. I've watched a few Series with parabolics and they do it fairly reliably, yet very few people do anything about it.

i think there is plenty you can do with normal springs instead of going for parabolics.

loosening the spring pack clasps will allow more sideways movement of the leafs whilst articulating - and should produce a bit more flex.

you can also grease / teflon / oil the springs to reduce interleaf friction. This will give a more supple ride on road and again allow them to flex more offroad.

you will be limited on flex no matter what you do - standard or paras - due to their length. The only way to get really good flex is to go with shackles/missing links (*) or longer leaf springs [#]

I used standard swb springs on my lwb series 2a, and the difference over the old ones was amazing - even better once i oiled them and loosed the clasps.

(*) can be risky and produce strange road handling if the links arent nice and tight and good bushes - see the various zook forums

(#) will require new mounting points making to both ends to keep the axles in the same position. I'm sure theres piccies on this forum of a yellow yank series motor that runs YJ springs and it flexes awesomely.