Has anyone ever tried this

From what I understand about it the logic behind two smaller turbos is that the inertia of the turbo is less so they spin up quicker and are more responsive when you put your foot down. A single larger turbo is supposed to be less responsive but has better bottom end torque - I think I read that somewhere in an explanation of why the Jag 2.7 V6 diesel has twin turbos while the Discovery 3 version of the same motor only has one turbo.

BMW have, for a few years now, been running twin turbos on a lot of their engines, including their 3.0 D, 2.0 D, 3.0 P(roper fuel), allowing the tiny turbo to work in the low rev range and the larger one further up once the engine is humming.

It makes for a much wider power band -something I have always hated of the high ouput diesels that the likes of Ford/Vauxhall/VW group make, 130BHP? Yeah for about 3 seconds before you have to change gear and wait for another decade before the turbo lag dies away.....

So yes, 2 smaller turbos sping up quicker, but one small and one big gives you the best of both worlds -this is the way I would look at turbocharging any engine if I had the chance :)

It makes for a much wider power band -something I have always hated of the high ouput diesels that the likes of Ford/Vauxhall/VW group make, 130BHP? Yeah for about 3 seconds before you have to change gear and wait for another decade before the turbo lag dies away.....

At least as far as VW and VNT turbos, I will have to disagree about lag. My Rover has almost no lag at all with a VNT 17. I would take one any day over a twin setup.

Twin turbos give better response as it allows the engine to be treated as smaller capacity per turbo . which requires a smaller turbo and therfore less inertia, this can also be achieved by variable nozzle technology . I dont think you are considering compound system ? Sometimes the twin turbo fitment is due to constraints of room to fit a bigger turbo, and exhaust plumbing .

Not the most driveable of vehicles, but its not uncommon on tractor pulling engines to use multiple turbos. They arrange them slightly differently though. Instead of each turbo being fead by half the cylinders they have all the cylinders feeding one turbo, the exhaust gasses from which feed the next turbo and so on. The idea being to extract as much energy from the exhaust gasses as practically possible.

Having been looking at new tractors recently, they are all still using just one turbo, laden with the features like variable geometry to get the best out of them.

I've a recolection of seeing a twin turbo kit for sale second hand fitted to a V8, but can't remeber any of the details like who made it.

I seem to remember Janspeed doing a twin turbo conversion for the V8, but I guess you're thinking more towards a diesel application.

I once rode in a very early 127" V8 Hi-Cap with twin turbos. It belonged to a marquee high company that used it to pull big trailers, full setup had air brakes too.

A lot of manufacturers of vans etc.. are using smaller diesel engine's and twin turboing now, has anyone ever tinkered with a land rover engine and twin turbo's?? :huh:

YUK , Smaller means hightech which means nearly impossible to work on in the field, expensive as well , I`d rather go for bigger engine with prehistoric technology!

Land Rover`s are supposed the be a go anywhere in the world 4x4 and with the latest Defender you better hope that when you break down its in the Western world!!

Rgds

Roror