300Tdi Acting Funny

My 110 seems to have developed a bit of a problem. Newly installed 300Tdi has been fine for the last 1500 km or so. Two days ago traveling along the highway at about 110 kph, if I pressed down on the accelerator peddle, I noticed what seemed like some one was taking little stabs at the brake peddle. The truck slowed for just half a second then carried on. It would happen every four or five seconds as long as I was trying to accelerate. It was windy and I thought at first I was hitting little gusts of wind, that were slowing me down. But it was only happening if I tried to accelerate. Maintaining a steady speed at or below 60 mph was fine. I didn't notice any real change in engine note as this was happening.

Fast forward to today and it is still doing the same thing. But towards the end of my journey on the highway, the truck would not accelerate at times from 100 kph. Then it would. Off the highway and near home, it started to act up in the lower gears at slower speeds, but seemed to miss a bit as I tried to accel after shifting up.

Any ideas what I should be looking at???? I'm thinking maybe a fuel problem? I installed a brand new fuel pump when the engine went in though. Of course it wasn't genuine so I suppose the quality could be suspect. Not familiar enough yet with this engine (or diesels) to think what could be ailing it.

Any thoughts most welcome.

Brett

Have you fitted a new diesel filter.

New fuel pump, filter and lines when the engine went in a month ago. Truck was in use before that so I don't expect the tank was full of crud.

Hey, just thought of something. There is a sedimentor at the back near the tank on my truck. Never had it apart. Should I be looking there?

Brett

My 110 seems to have developed a bit of a problem. Newly installed 300Tdi has been fine for the last 1500 km or so. Two days ago traveling along the highway at about 110 kph, if I pressed down on the accelerator peddle, I noticed what seemed like some one was taking little stabs at the brake peddle. The truck slowed for just half a second then carried on. It would happen every four or five seconds as long as I was trying to accelerate. It was windy and I thought at first I was hitting little gusts of wind, that were slowing me down. But it was only happening if I tried to accelerate. Maintaining a steady speed at or below 60 mph was fine. I didn't notice any real change in engine note as this was happening.

Fast forward to today and it is still doing the same thing. But towards the end of my journey on the highway, the truck would not accelerate at times from 100 kph. Then it would. Off the highway and near home, it started to act up in the lower gears at slower speeds, but seemed to miss a bit as I tried to accel after shifting up.

Any ideas what I should be looking at???? I'm thinking maybe a fuel problem? I installed a brand new fuel pump when the engine went in though. Of course it wasn't genuine so I suppose the quality could be suspect. Not familiar enough yet with this engine (or diesels) to think what could be ailing it.

Any thoughts most welcome.

Brett

I had similar symptoms once which turned out to be the inside of the turbo hose delaminating. As the hose further deteriorated so it got worse. It might be worth a check

HTH Olly

I would go for the delaminating turbo hose - especially the 90° one from the turbo itself - I am on my third one so far. And we had a TD5 where the engine would suddenly go to idle with lots of black smoke - zero air flow on the pooter. Of course we thought it was the Air Flow Meter but it was a big flap of rubber that occasionally closed off the air altogether.

Anyway it is the easiest thing to check first

firstly check the lift pump, these are prone to fail even in a short time .

ive had 2 go on me in the last 3 months .

what happens is that the circlip or pin comes out from the bottom of the plunger in the lift pump and the lift pump arm does nothing then .

in one pump i was using the pivot pin broke and in this last one a clip came off the bottom of the plunger pin of the diaphragm .

none repairable and just make sure you have a couple of spare ones to fit .

LRDIRECT are cheapest for lift pumps at £13 each inc vat .

this last time i bought what i thought was a genuine lift pump , and also a non genuine lift pump at the same time , but when i received them i would swear they are exactly the same pumps but with a different sticker on the boxes .

one was £28 and the other £13 .

to test if lift pump is u/s , just open bonnet and rev engine flat out , if the engine runs fine and no missing or smoking then the pump may be ok but if it misses and dies down after about 20secs of being run flat out against the governor it may well be u/s .

mine would initially rev up and then would start revving up and down and also putting out various colours of smoke , white or black .

it would eventually start to lose revs all together , if i then let it idle the idle would pick up again but then if i revved it i would get same result as previously mentioned , ie hunting pooping banging missing smoking .

i fitted new lift pump and the engine would rev and hold the revs on the governor , plus no smoke .

i have had the plastic tee connector break , which is fitted next to the diaphragm inlet pipe on the injector pump , this will stop the turbo giving you increased fuel under boost if the pipe connections break at all .

i also had 2 duff injectors [out of a new set] which would make the engine miss when revved up when driving on the road .

not saying youll have same problem but i needed to fit a new set of injectors as well at one stage in previous 2 years of running the 300tdi .

any fuel filters can be suspected at first, so id change them first before anything else , then id look at checking/changing the lift pump .

if you buy a lift pump make sure you also buy 2 union nuts and 2 olives for the pipe fittings on it .

Well, I took apart the sedimentor at the back beside the fuel tank. Nice layer of crud on the bottom. Found a loose hose clamp on the fuel line going into the pump. Nothing leaking out but may have been loose enough to draw some air in. Checked the priming lever on the fuel pump. It had resistance, so hopefully it is sound. I sort of tried but I just couldn't bring myself to rev the engine flat out against the governor. :unsure: The turbo hoses appear fine inside and out.

Took the truck for a run on the highway and flogged it up to 125 kph. Backed it down to 100 a couple time and accelerated again and all seems well now with the truck pulling well and no reappearance of the earlier symptoms, so I must have hit on something. :D

Thanks for the suggestion.

Brett

My 110 300 tdi started the occasional misfire around last Christmas - it would just skip a beat now and then, but mainly whilst accelerating.

It gradually got worse and by March this year the engine started having real hissy fits on motorways to the extent that I'd pull onto the hard shoulder with a massive missfire only for the engine to recover as I slowed down and I'd then nip back into the inside lane at the next opportunity!

Going over a bump could either start the problem off or cure it! Discussions with Les indicated that the lift pump was unlikely to be the cause. The fuel filter had been replaced as part of a recent service.

As the pipe from the tank on my 110 lacks a sedimentor I was getting to the stage where I was thinking of draining and flushing the tank through. However after a particularly bad episode on the M4 going home the problem suddenly righted itself and (all limbs etc firmly crossed) it hasn't returned to date.

I think that a lump of $h1te or maybe even water in the fuel tank was the cause.

BTW in my experience, turbo hose problems are accompanied by a marked increase in turbo whine and corresponding reduction in performance.

Steve

Everything seemed ok today so yes, hopefully it is sorted. And none to soon either as we are heading off to a rally for three days on Friday. Will be the first long trip with the new engine and I am looking forward to to it.

Of course, now that I've said that...

Brett