Nanocom (should I get one?)

Hi,

I've been studying the previous posts / tech archive and discussions on this Nanocom device. I'm relatively new to ECU's and TD5 I do wonder if I should get one...

So an easy question to Nanocom owners, are you happy with the device and would you buy it again?

As I have 5 spare ECU's on the shelf (don't ask me why... they came with the vehicle....) I would like to check those out. Will it be just swapping ECU's inside the vehicle or is there an other way to test / read them?

Cheers

Marco

Guest diesel_jim
If you are thinking of getting one you'll be hard pushed to find one at the moment...

I've been waiting nearly 2 months from Bearmach :(

^^^^^^^ same as... :(

The price of these has jumped £50 to £200 now - I wonder why? ;)

Les.

Really??

I thought it was always £200 - thankfully i have mine sitting here next to me, shame the vehicle is in pieces!!

I think that Nanocom is the swiss army knife for Td5: the diagnostic possibility that the tool is able don't have equals, also comparing it with LR Test Book if we think about possibility to record all parameters managed by ECU and view it in a graph!

For delay in shipping/producing new Nanocom's unit: hardware is improved changing PC interfaces (no more serial port but the more common USB) and avoiding a heating problem when the unit was left, for example, in the Land in a very sunny day. Also the firmware is updated (version 2.0) and the software bundle but I haven't try it yet.

And I'm glad to say that Nanocom was born some years ago from the (brillant) idea of a "senior" member of Africaland forum :D

About the cost: in Italy is sold at the price of 249euro.

So is it worth waiting for the newer one then?

Would be willing to buy one off eBay but if the new one comes out and it's better I'd rather spend my cash on that!

In this news they talk about an hardware upgrade for the old version. I don't know terms of this upgrade, so I can't say what is better... also because I don't know the market price of a unit outside Italy (£200 in UK?).

In the news they talk about the intention to keep back compatibility of all firmware/software updates, so for this point should'n be a problem: all updates are free registering on the website.

Think I'll wait for the USB version, it seems they are sending some out so might be able to get hold of them shortly.

The reason I'll wait is the fact they've solved a problem with the internals of the unit not liking the heat from the sun... which can only be a good thing! Plus they mention Vista compatibility!

Just rung Bearmach, they have the old model now in stock... they had no information about the new model so I sent them in the direction of the Nanocom website and told them I'd ring back in a few weeks to see if they had the new model :)

I use Vista and have no problem with it, hence having Vista support would be great!

I've decided not to bother contacting anyone else for the Nanocom V2 as of yet... it seems as though Bearmach are the main distributor in the UK anyway.

I've now e-mailed their head office to see if I get any joy there :)

I got my Nanocom from Devon 4x4 last Tuesday. I have had a quick play with it. The instructions were translated using Babelfish I think and its almost worth the £200 for a laugh. I got the new USB unit but with true Italian efficiency it ships with a serial cable. Don't let that put you off though as the cables cost next to nothing.

Ben

Indeed it seems that Devon 4x4 have got the 2nd gen version in stock... Just ordered one myself.

Strange how Bearmach in Cardiff had no idea about it, yet they may well have supplied it to Devon 4x4 as it has a Bearmach part no. on it!