Discovery engine into defender

No, only the engine & transfer box, the Disco main gearbox needs quite a lot of parts internal & external changing to fit the Defender, if you did fit the complete Disco unit the gear levers would be to far back in the space where a cubbybox or middle seat would fit.

look in the tech archive, Disco 200Tdi engine retor-fit is a very popular choice & there's excellent info in the Tech Archive, click the index link at the very top & scroll down to engines section.

I've looked in the tech section, but the threads are all for a disco 200tdi, going into a TD defender.

Would I be able to use the combination of a discovery engine, bell housing and transfer box, and a defender LT77 gearbox?

Will I have to change the engine mounts at all?

Thanks, Tom.

I've looked in the tech section, but the threads are all for a disco 200tdi, going into a TD defender. this is probably cos they people who did the post were upgrading a td vehicle to a tdi, i assume your looking to relace a broken defender 200tdi engine with a 200tdi from a disco cos they are cheaper??? the principle is the same tho...

Would I be able to use the combination of a discovery engine, bell housing and transfer box, and a defender LT77 gearbox? all the transmission bits should be interchangeable, you might find you dont even need to use any of the disco other than the engine... the biggest problem i can see is going to be the disco turbo sits a lot lower down than the defender one, (see the threads refered to above) so you will either need to get the steve parker downpipe and stick with the disco turbo, or you can (i think) fit the defender turbo onto the disco, but its not a straight forward swap, i think you have to change the waterpump housing and maybe some other bits???

Will I have to change the engine mounts at all? no, engine and gearbox mounts are the same

Thanks, Tom.

good luck!!!

Hi

Will a 200tdi engine, transfer box and gearbox from a disco, fit onto a 200tdi 90 chassis with no problems?

Thanks, Tom.

are you trying to replace a 200tdi alrready in a Def or build one onto a chassis or something else?

in answer to above Yes it will all go but the gbox will be further back due to the different bell housings so you would need to fabricate your own transmission cover and the gear sticks would be in a different place.

I think you would then need to reposition the T box on different mounts if you went this way as it sits back further and then get props to sort.

If you already have a def g and t box then leave them in place use a def bell housing tdi or td and fit the disco engine to that.

difficult to cover all the angle as not sure what you currently have available or are trying to do.

are you trying to replace a 200tdi alrready in a Def or build one onto a chassis or something else?

in answer to above Yes it will all go but the gbox will be further back due to the different bell housings so you would need to fabricate your own transmission cover and the gear sticks would be in a different place.

I think you would then need to reposition the T box on different mounts if you went this way as it sits back further and then get props to sort.

If you already have a def g and t box then leave them in place use a def bell housing tdi or td and fit the disco engine to that.

difficult to cover all the angle as not sure what you currently have available or are trying to do.

Thanks for the replys.

Basically I am building a defender from the ground up. I have a 200tdi 90 chassis and bodywork etc. I want to fit a 200tdi engine from a disco, as they are far cheaper than defender ones. Therefore I have the option of buying any combination of defender / disco bits in order to make it work. I am not able to weld, so I cant move engine mounts, and I don't really want to be making transmission tunnels and so forth.

So basically if I get a disco 200tdi engine, and defender bell housing, transfer box and gearbox it will all fit together nicely? I know I will have to buy a steve parker kit etc.

BTW I am only 16 so please excuse my lack of knowledge.

Thanks, Tom.

Tom,

I am just about to put a 200TDi Disco engine into my 200tdi defender as a short term fix. You will need to change the flywheel housing to be a Defender one in order to use the Defender gearbox and bellhousing. Otherwise it'll drop straight in (I'll let you know if it doesn't on Sunday!!).

The Steve Parker kit is well worth the money. Mine arrived last week and it's a very well put together item. Much easier and better than a cut and shut job!!

HTH

Adrian

post-4890-1213898329_thumb.jpg

post-4890-1213898390_thumb.jpg

I put a post up on this a few months ago, its pretty straight forward and as of last night have now done this twice....

Second time round- (start - finish) around about 10 hours.....

Can post a few more piccys here if any use dunno how great they are.... :P

Tom, only 16 as well!

The flywheel housing is at the back of the engine and is outside of the flywheel- that the clutch bolts to. This need to be replaced as the stud pattern is diffrent between the disco and defender. At least I think that is what it is. I am also currently putting a disco200tdi in my 90-engine blew up. I'm going the whole hog though and coverting the disco to a full blown defender 200tdi!

Pete

Tom,

I have just put a 200tdi disco engine into my 90. origannally a 2.5d n/a

I did not change the flywheel housing off the disco engine at all.

The flywheel housing on the disco engine has all the holes drilled for fitting to the 90 gearbox, they have just not been tapped out to accomodate the stud.

As i removed the old engine/gearbox/transferbox in one i was able to work out which holes i needed to tap out. These holes are an M10 metric course (standard) thread.

If you work out which holes you need you can then move the studs (rob some from the old engine if needed) into the new holes

There is NO NEED to REMOVE the flywheel and start swapping flywhell housings!!!

Many thanks

Neil

Tom hi mate i have put a few disco engines in defenders and i dont change fly wheel housing i just remove all studs apart from the top 3 then slide them together and refit studs that line up then drill and tap the others.

Use defender mounts on disco engine and use disco rad and intercooler with defender surround as you dont weld, you can use disco surround with some basic welding then a mixture of water pipes and a defender wiring loom or just the plug off the loom (i may have a plug at work)

I am in birmingham so not to far from you so if you need any parts or info P M me

Cheers and good luck

Billy