Tdi 300 auto Disco - report on mpg after De-Catt

thebiglad

Just to report back on mpg after de-catting my Disco.

First tank - 37.2: mix of town 10%, small country roads 25%, 65% faster A roads and autoroutes 60-70mph;

Second tank - 34: mainly autoroutes & A roads between 60 to 80mph

575 miles on one tankfull

Third tank, have not filled up, just put in 35ltrs, and that took the needle to over half full.

So, in conclusion, I expect to average about 35mpg in my day to day running (not much town work) and around 600 miles to a tank is well achievable.

OK, throw your rocks, but I know these figures are true.

Cheers

Dave

thats good mate,i reckon im going to be doing the same.can i ask if you have removed the egr valve,or touched the fuelling or boost at all?im asking because i have only just bought a 300tdi and when im finished fixing the little jobs im going to have a stab at some other mods,mostly to make her a little more economical

thats good mate,i reckon im going to be doing the same.can i ask if you have removed the egr valve,or touched the fuelling or boost at all?im asking because i have only just bought a 300tdi and when im finished fixing the little jobs im going to have a stab at some other mods,mostly to make her a little more economical

Hi Peasey, my take on the economy drive is to try and ensure that the car runs as well as possible, whilst remaining in standard tune.

So, I changed all the fluids, all the filters, all the brakes. De-EGR'd using a new top hose so got rid of all the old EGR plumbing. De-catted using the Defender non-cat downpipe. Taken off the viscous fan, except when I'm doing longer runs and might get involved with traffic.

Mine has EDC, because it's an auto, so as far as I'm aware I can't fiddle with the fuelling but that suits me - very happy with how she's running now.

Hope that helps

Dave

I reckon the viscous fan would make the biggest difference out of all those bits.

I believe you can have it "chipped" to improve mpg or performance, but I doubt you'll get any higher than 35mpg

Hi there, just to be clear, for these trips on which I'm reporting, the viscous fan had been reinstalled. I took it off again once I was back on home territory where I know there will be no stationary traffic problems.

And imo the biggest difference has come about due to the non-cat exhaust downpipe - no doubt in my mind at all.

Cheers

Dave

I reckon the viscous fan would make the biggest difference out of all those bits.

I believe you can have it "chipped" to improve mpg or performance, but I doubt you'll get any higher than 35mpg

Hi there, just to be clear, for these trips on which I'm reporting, the viscous fan had been reinstalled. I took it off again once I was back on home territory where I know there will be no stationary traffic problems.

And imo the biggest difference has come about due to the non-cat exhaust downpipe - no doubt in my mind at all.

Fuel consumption before the downpipe mod was about 33mpg but that was driving with economy as an absolutel priority - now I can get that and more driving the car more normally and slightly quicker.

Cheers

Dave

What are you going to do come MOT time?

Just stick the cat back on?

you seem like you have a car you can justify in a fuel price crazy world now then.

Good work.

Fortunately diesels don't have to have a cat for the MOT, they just need to pass the smoke test :P . mines passed it's last 2 fine even with the tweeked pump.

Thanks for your reply mate the info is very helpful as my 300 tdi is also an auto.i too am going down the same route as you making everything run perfectly first,but i have a question what is an EDC?the only thing i wont be doing is removing the viscous fan but hey look at my location,no auto routes in this neck of the woods my man,just a huge 2 lane car park called the A12.OH just one other question mate as skanny has raised the point,does it affect the mot?

EDC is Electronic Diesel Control I think all the 300TDi Auto's were fitted with it but could be wrong. It gives slightly more Horsepower (122 rather than 111 for the Non EDC ones) When it's working correctly it's pretty good but can be a sod to fault find when it goes wrong. To identify if you have an EDC engine there will be an airflow meter in the inlet pipe work and your Injection pump will have a large white electrical connector on it also there is no throttle cable as it uses a throttle potentiometer (the cable that runs from the pedal towards the pump is for the kickdown).

As I said above no requirement for a cat on a diesel for the MOT.

My 300tdi Auto got 28mpg avg all the time, I only did 4 mile journeys town driving.

So 22 is really low, have you blanked off the EGR? Mine was never done but I've heard the blanking off gives the best improvement when after the valve has broke, maybe yours has broken? Have you replaced the filters? Is it EDC or non-edc? Mine was EDC

What are you going to do come MOT time?

Just stick the cat back on?

you seem like you have a car you can justify in a fuel price crazy world now then.

Good work.

Hi Skanny, it went through it's French mot on the 10th of June and passed the emissions part with flying colours - less than a quarter of the max level permitted, clean runner !!!!

Me happy Bunny

Hi Guys,

I have a 300TDI engine on my Range Rover. I don't know the wieght difference between the RRover and Disco, it looks like the mechanics and electrics are the same, mine does ONLY 22.4MPG. In Malta we have only short roads so I would expect a little more consumption but the differnece between 22 to 35 is LARGE. By the way, mine has an automatic gearbox. Can you please indicate the modification you've done to improve the mpg? Please explain in detail and proper names because I'm a bit new to this busness on 4X4's. I have done somw work on normal road cars. Thank you in anticipation.

regards,

Victor

Hi Guys,

I have a 300TDI engine on my Range Rover. I don't know the wieght difference between the RRover and Disco, it looks like the mechanics and electrics are the same, mine does ONLY 22.4MPG. In Malta we have only short roads so I would expect a little more consumption but the differnece between 22 to 35 is LARGE. By the way, mine has an automatic gearbox. Can you please indicate the modification you've done to improve the mpg? Please explain in detail and proper names because I'm a bit new to this busness on 4X4's. I have done somw work on normal road cars. Thank you in anticipation.

regards,

Victor

I found the biggest improvement in MPG on my Auto Discovery came from changing the transfer box from the Original 1.2:1 ratio one to a Defender 1.4:1 ratio one. I also mostly use mine on small back roads and little or no dual carriage way and motorways. I have found that the gearbox goes to top gear at 42Mph rather than 52MPH as it did with the original transfer box. This has led to a 15 litre saving in fuel a week. (it was using 60litres it is now using 45.) I don't have MPG figures because I haven't worked them out, but I was getting approx 28 MPG before I changed the transfer box.