HALF SHAFTS

northernchris

So do all RR front 10 spline half shafts have 23 splines on the outer end?

Up to VIN EA305589 which is 88 MY, I believe the front shafts are interchangeable. Not sure of spline number but that does sound right.

I'll know shortly as I have the job of stripping a front axle for the diff and shafts. :(

Sorry Mark, didn't spot it was you asking, hope you are well.

It's just the later ABS ones that have the extra splines isn't it, Nige

ABS have speacial CVs, and I think the weaker 32 spline shafts in the front, this is late late stuff, the rear stub is different etc as are the hubs (metric) I know all this as I have a mix of it on mine to get the HD ashcroft shafts fitted (24/23)

Nige

Sorry Mark, didn't spot it was you asking, hope you are well.

Fine thanks. Not too often in the RR section I must say, just popped in and spotted this thread.

Reason I was asking is the axle on my 90 is ex-RR and I belive came from an '89 RR, no ABS, and I was wondering which CV's it would have. What I do know is shafts are 10 spline, CV's don't have integral stub shaft, it has the mushroom heads which have imperial bolts (9/16 spanner rather tha 17mm). Axle number is 18L00294A if that helps. I'm really interested to know if it would have the R606665 23 spline CV's or if not what needs changing to fit them, apart from the shafts obviously.

Ever so slightly early new years greetings to y'all

Ok,

In the looset terms you have a 7 bolt "Efi" axle, prob around late 1986 onwards.

The diff will be a 10 spline, 100% ceratin.

The halfshafts could be either late 23/24 (strong type) with a CV that is the same as the 6 bolt pre EFI "Imperial" axle, or, more lilly it will have the later much much weaker 32 10 spline half shafts plus the CV that has a small "Nose" on the outerside,.

BOTH would have the 10 spline outer stub shaft with mushroom head.

To convert you would need the 23/24 shafts, CVs and stub axles, as thesde have the bushes that accept the eralier CV, part number is something like 60xxxxx. You can use you old hubs etc

Hope this helps, you;ll have to pull the stub axle off to see for sure

Nige

Thanks for that info Nige.

As ever nothing's straight forward with a landrover :rolleyes:

Good to know I only need earlier stub axle (and shafts and CV's of course) to convert mine, assuming it turns out to be that later type. Shame the only spare axle I have in stock is off an '89 RR with ABS :(