Puma Engine Oil alternative suppliers than LR

I suspect this topic has been done to death before so I'm quite happy if someone just refers me to the definitive statement somewhere.

My question is whether there is a mainstream off-the-shelf engine oil which is 100 per cent compliant with LR's requirement of WSS-M2C913-B and an alternative to buying the oil from your local friendly LR main dealer's Parts Department. I'm just guessing it's retailed there at a premium price but haven't asked yet in fact.

My research to date suggests this is a Ford spec and two compliant alternatives I've found are:

- Castrol Magnatec SAE 5W-30, and

- Morris Lubricants Multivis 5W/30 Semi Synthetic (MSS)

and there must be others.

However - is there anything magic about the LR stuff or indeed Ford branded stuff.

I'm in the UK and not in some extreme climate.

Thanks for your assistance.

1: Texaco Havoline Energy

2: Shell Helix F (but until recently it was sold only in 200 litres barrels...( don't know if their marketing office at last changed this silly policy).

They are all SAE 5w-30: this means that they are suitable up to 35°C, which makes these thin oils not so good here in southern Europe in summer.

They are all oils which comply with ACEA A-1 B-1 specifications: low consumption, high temperature high shear ratio; definitely not to be used in engines for which they are not specifically indicated (very very thin oils, they are).

I suspect this topic has been done to death before so I'm quite happy if someone just refers me to the definitive statement somewhere.

My question is whether there is a mainstream off-the-shelf engine oil which is 100 per cent compliant with LR's requirement of WSS-M2C913-B and an alternative to buying the oil from your local friendly LR main dealer's Parts Department. I'm just guessing it's retailed there at a premium price but haven't asked yet in fact.

My research to date suggests this is a Ford spec and two compliant alternatives I've found are:

However - is there anything magic about the LR stuff or indeed Ford branded stuff.

Nothing magical about it, and I believe it's actually an out of date spec, meeting ACEA A1-98 and B1-98 with a couple of additional Ford specs. It was first listed about six or seven years ago, and oils have moved on significantly since then.

Just look on the bottles, you'll probably find most nearly all the majors cover that Ford spec, and I believe the Ford stuff is bottled by Texaco (Havolene Energy 5W-30).

Bloke in this thread from SA http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbth...rue#Post1145999 was having the same issues with finding that spec for his 1600 TDCi Focus.

• 1 year later...
They are all SAE 5w-30: this means that they are suitable up to 35°C, which makes these thin oils not so good here in southern Europe in summer.

Just called my LR stealer, and they use Castrol Magnatec 5w50 even though both the manual and LR South Africa specify 5w30. Isn't this technically against the warranty?

We (FORD Dealership) use Castrol Magnatec 5w-30A1 in Transit and everything else but old style Galaxy. This has never caused any problems and some of the newer transits run 15k service schedules. We get it delivered by tanker but you can get it in 5l containers with a handy tipper/lid.

HTH.

Kris.

• 7 months later...
We (FORD Dealership) use Castrol Magnatec 5w-30A1 in Transit and everything else but old style Galaxy. This has never caused any problems and some of the newer transits run 15k service schedules. We get it delivered by tanker but you can get it in 5l containers with a handy tipper/lid.

Kris, hasn't the Ford M2C913-B spec been revised from A1/B1 to A5/B5?

Hi,I use Castrol Magnatec 5/30 fully synthetic, which meets spec in handbook (ford spec WSSM2C913A). No problems here in the uk, but if I were to be using the vehicle in a hot climate then I would probably up the oil to 5/50. Rocky

All,

please note the following from http://oilspecifications.org/ford.php:

Ford M2C913-C

Fully backwards compatible and is strongly recommended for all applications that currently require the specification Ford M2C913-B. The new engine oil provides various benefits to the customer such as improved fuel economy benefits and high robustness to biodiesel fuels.

If the original OP is UK based then the Havoline Energy (synth/semi-synth) is ava here at very good prices if you shop around and meets the spec. Check out Morrisons who had some deals on recently. The other idea is to go Google Opieoils in Cornwall who will offer good priced alternatives and you may even get a forum discount if you ask nicely ;)