3.5 V8 Fly Wheel Locking

minivin

Nothing in the LR RAVE info for locking a flywheel on a V8 engine, it says --- restrain crankshaft & remove the 6 bolts securing the flywheel.

you could make a 'V' block to engage the ring gear teeth against a bell housing stud to hold the flywheel while undoing the bolts.

Nothing in the LR RAVE info for locking a flywheel on a V8 engine, it says --- restrain crankshaft & remove the 6 bolts securing the flywheel.

you could make a 'V' block to engage the ring gear teeth against a bell housing stud to hold the flywheel while undoing the bolts.

And there was me thinking LR would be efficient and have a tool ;) Cheers for looking though :)

V block Sounds like a good option, wouldn't be too difficult to make just with one corner of some rectangular bar or summit like that

I use a tool I made up

Simply its a lump of metal, with two holes drilled that bolt into the bellhousing holes, then I ground away one side leaving a "Tooth" which engages the flywheel

Works a treat, and has taken loads of abuse from both me and to those its been lent to.

Made from 3/4 inch thick :lol:

Nige

Made from 3/4 inch thick :lol:

Nige

Sounds about right :lol: definately a theme of engaging with the teeth developing here

I've seen parts lists on some fly wheels showing the ring teeth portion being seperate to the flywheel, I take it it must be shrunk on to a high interference fit since it has to transmit the torque of the starter motor? :)

I always used to have an old cylinder head valve that would sit in the teeth of the flywheel and then jam up against a suitably placed bolt screwed into a mounting hole.

Went to do it again the other day and I couldnt find an old valve kicking about anywhere.

I knew there was a reason for not tidying up and clearing things out.

• 2 weeks later...