Help! Fitting Gearbox...

smo

I'm attempting to fit an auto gearbox to my TD5, ive removed the R380, swapped all the bits over on the engine (flywheel & clutch removed, pressure plate, spacer & torque conv fitted etc.) however now im trying to fit the dam thing and cannot get it to mate up properly.

I can get the gearbox on to within an inch of the engine, but no further - is there a nack, a special wiggle, brute force and a large hammer or an sequence of assembly that must be adhered to to make this bloody thing fit???

As Pod says, torque converter should be on the box. There are 2 sets of splines to line up, the input shaft and the stator support, and then the oil pump drive tangs. At this point the converter should sit well back in the bell housing. To stop it sliding forward when you fit the box, drill a 3mm hole each side of the bell housing a little way back from the face of the converter, then pass some soft steel wire through in front of the converter, and secure each side. When the box is in, the wire can be pulled through and the holes filled with silicone sealer. You can then line up the holes in the flex plate with the converter. Loctite all the bolts and get all of them started before finally tightening up.

Absolutely vital that the torque converter is correctly fitted to the gearbox and that it is not allowed to slip forward during installation.

If it is not seated correctly then you COULD tighten bolts up & it will appear to go together OK.

BUT you WILL have split the gearbox pump. And no pump=no drive=gearbox off again to put a new pump on.

The correct settings are shown on the http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk site. Check to be sure. You measure from a straight edge across the bellhousing to the top of the four rectangular blocks on the front of the TC

You will find it helps to make up two studs (buy a length of appropriately threaded bar from B&Q & cut a couple of bits off) which you screw into the back of the engine. Lift the box so the holes sit onto these then you can slide it all together without trying to do a balancing act.

Oh B*gger!

I fitted it bolted to the flex plate as there is no obvious way to do those bolts up if you fit it to the box first.....lets hope nothing broke :unsure::blink:

I was down in Bournemouth helping Pete at Stunning fit the 3 speed to my racer and yes same as above I didn't know until I was shown today.

I'm down tomorrow afternoon sorting the cooling system if you need any bits Pete may be able to help so at least you can get it fitted this weekend well sort of. :rolleyes:

Well it is fitted now - got back after a full day in the workshop, t-box is on the works....i also have no way of testing it until i get a compushift or similar to control it and really don't want to take it out, its definitely an engine out jobbie instead next time....nadgers...this isn't good :(

• 7 months later...
Well it is fitted now - got back after a full day in the workshop, t-box is on the works....i also have no way of testing it until i get a compushift or similar to control it and really don't want to take it out, its definitely an engine out jobbie instead next time....nadgers...this isn't good :(

Any pics Smo? is it running on compushift yet?