Modular wheels- Offset?

I'm looking to get a set of modulars for my early ninety.

I've got a set of part worn 265 x 75 AT BFG's which i wan to re use. I've read on other threads that these dont pair too well with Modulars when used heavily off road, but with my usage this should'nt be a problem. Once worn out I'll probably go the 255 route which seems to be a recommended option.

My question is though, do I need to be careful with different offsets. Are modulars for a defender different to a discovery for example.

Whats the prefered offset for this setup?.

Also can anyone recommend a supplier? Most of the main suppliers do them!

Thanks

Nick

Modulars in 16" come in Two offsets(backspace)

4.5" and 4.25"

I have both here.

I had 265/75/16s on 16/7 modulars with 4.25" backspace(offset) and they were fine

Mine were MT's though

AT's are very good tyres for road/mild off road work

Exeter 4x4 store sell them at good prices/

maybe mailorder4x4 in Plymouth can help

These are real measurements no guessing

I have the 4.5" backspacing mods with around 33" tyres and a gwyn lewis kit and no rubbing what so ever. Although they have an extra 1.5" added to the width on the outside with the beadlocks. Oh, and they are fitted to a classic with a 70mm lift. This should mean on your defender, they should also not rub as your tyres will be around 33" tall. Although this will depend on what suspension setup you run obviously.

Also, I paid about £32 per wheel I think from mansfield motors here in east anglia.

Thanks chaps,

I'm still a bit confused about how many offsets are available. As well as White90 and others refering to 4.25" & 4.5" , browsing around, Scorpion refer to modulars having a 0 offset, and Devon 4x4 as a +8.

Regards

Nick

Thanks chaps,

I'm still a bit confused about how many offsets are available. As well as White90 and others refering to 4.25" & 4.5" , browsing around, Scorpion refer to modulars having a 0 offset, and Devon 4x4 as a +8.

Regards

Nick

Offset is a weird thing.

Actual off set is measured from the centre of the wheel. 0 is therefore directly in the middle. 8 is 8mm towards the outside of the wheel.

Any other measurements are to help you visualise how deep the dish is.

offset.gif

As well as White90 and others refering to 4.25" & 4.5" , browsing around, Scorpion refer to modulars having a 0 offset, and Devon 4x4 as a +8.

FWIW 4.25" and 4.5" is backspace (or should be) -- the distance from the inner edge of the rim to the wheel mounting face.

So for an 8" wide rim for example -- 4.25" backspace = 0.25" positive offset; 4.5" = 0.5" positive offset.

It gets a bit confusing cause people tend to use the term offset when quoting offset or backspace measurements -- but it's generally obvious from the dimensions whether someone is quoting backspace or offset figures.

When fitting wider tyres you're looking for small positive or even negative offsets get some of the steering lock back.

Another useful reference: Wheel Technical Info

hmm, this may explain why one of my wheels appears to stick out further than the others :( .....will have to get the ruler out when I get home!

I had thought they were all the same. They were on the 90 when I bought it, so no idea where they came from or if they were bought as a set.