help needed for a 200TDI with snapped cambelt!

andy.cowman

Hi. I am actually posting about my friends discovery ( i own a lovely little defender!).

Its a G reg 200tdi series 1 disco, 3 door. It has about 120000 miles on the clock and by all appearances hasnt been used offroad before. We worked this out when the transfer box didnt like engageing anything but high!! When we got it into low it then wouldnt come out of it. Anyway we fixed that, also in the three weeks of ownership its been serviced and was booked in for a cambelt change next week. However my deeply unlucky mate (he bought a 3.9 V8 range rover and a month later the block went porous) phoned yesterday after some offroading to say that the cambelt snapped a mile from home. I am not sure of the internal damage yet but want to ask for advice on what to do, the prime concern unfortuntly is cost.

is it best/cheapest to rebuild it and where can do it at a good price in the South West?

Should we look for a recon engine with an exchange plan? Again where is best?

Are there anyother suggestions?

Thanks

Andy

Andy(and Mate)

Fear not the worst case senario is a set of bent push rods and a snapped rocker or two

where in the S/W are you/he I can highly recommend a couple of places dependant on where you are, both could collect the car and won't rip him off.

Tony

£150 labour £50-100 parts

these are rough but educated estimates.

is he unable to do it himself/with help?

the job isn't at all difficult I can point you towards full pictorial instructions, if he fancies having ago.

Tony

PS don't even think of an exchange engine, this is a dead simple fix easily done in a day even by a novice

PPS have a read of THIS

Edited by white90

I always thought the Cam Belt going was the end of it for an engine, The job could be done with some help and guidance i expect but i will ask him about it and we will have to look at the pictorial guide before making any decisions about it.

The estimates are great, just need a rough idea of cost to mention to him.

Andy

Thanks, i had a quick look and it seems ok. How do we do the push rods?Is that overly complicated? also what other damage could have occured to the engine as a result of the cambelt failing? I will check back later as have family over today. Thanks very much for your help

Andy

Brilliant, we will check that. If the belt snapped i assume its likely one or more will be bent? If they arent bent is it likely that anything else is damaged?

No, just change any suspect (or completely buggered!) pushrods, new belt, new rotator caps and any damaged rockers, refit rocker shaft and set valve clearances. As Tony said, a fairly easy job.

Well we are gonna take the rocker cover off and investigate, hopefully before the end of the week and see where we stand. We'll do the push rods ourselves since it doesnt sound to tricky and then most likely send it to a garage to do the cambelt to ensure its done properly.

I'll post some pictures of what we find when we start to explore. Apparently the engine just stopped when Stu was driving at about 50mph, after a second or so Stu put the Transfer box and gearbox into neutral and coasted into a layby. Since some people report them going at high revs and from what you guys have told me i am hoping all will be well!!

If we get stuck Les we'll shout for help!!!

Andy

I've just done the timing belt on my 200Tdi & 4 pushrods, to check the injection pump timing use a 9.5mm drill shank, on the flywheel there's 2 slots, centre the narrow slot over the bellhousing wading plug hole, crank pulley TDC mark lines up with the rib on timing case front cover. :D

Thanks for all the help, we werent sure at first if the engine was a goner. With out the guidance of you guys it would have been scrapped!!

Stu managed to pursuade some mechanic friend that he did in fact want to have a look and put a new belt and push rods in so the Disco is off to the garage tomorrow. Fingers crossed thats the only problem with her!!

I'll let you know when I hear!

Andy

I am in Bath and he is in Bromham just out near Melksham/Chippenham. How much roughly do you think it would cost to get it repaired?

Thanks

Andy

Andy hello mate. Nice to see you on here. Glad you found the place

I did mentino that you should have bought a V8 didn't i?

this isn't your red haired friend is it- he who gets through cars like hot dinners by any chance?

Get over to the "getting out there" bit if you want to find some off road events. There's at least 3-4 over the next month, and loads more in the future.

how's the shoulder coming on?

take care, regards to your parents.

Jim

(p.s. rangie is trying to give up the ghost at the moment! thinking of scrappnig it and building a proper off roader- watch this space!)

Hey Jim

Yes its the red head chap!! The worst luck in the world, had car two weeks and was booked in for the cambelt change then it went on newyears day when he was on the way home from our offroading!

Been watching the events but i have been banned from driving the defender for a while! its so annoying! If stus truck is back in action soon though hopefully we will turn up in that.

He had a V8 and the block went porous after a month of owning it!

Have fun the trialler, sounds awesome.

Andy

Cambelt change shold have been done on day one of ownership.

Going off road in a vehicle you know very little about in terms of history was pretty stupid.

FAIL TO PREPARE THEN PREPARE TO FAIL

Unfortunatly he couldnt afford to do it as he spent everything he had left buying the truck, the mileage was kept limited and the offroading was not particulary serious at all. I have owned many cars myself and make a point of keeping them well maintained and fully service and replace the cambelt as soon as I buy them, and not once have I done it on the first day.

Your advice is really quite pointless and very un-helpful, your tone of comment is also rude.

To everyone else I have met on this forum thank you very much for your help, its been a life saver.

Andy