Discovery rear winch /winch bumper

nokiamutt

If you remove the rear crossmember behind the bumper, you can slot the winch back in a fair way, but you do of course need to make it plenty strong enough as you just chopped out a structural member.... and remake the rear tank mounts.

A lot of work but perfectly doable.

• 1 month later...

I've come a but further on my rear winch mount.

I've a tankguard from SouthDown with "detachable tow bar". I've put together some pieces of steel, together with a "winch cradle", which is actually a piece of 6mm steel, bent to make a cradle, and hardened.

Will stick a bit out back, and will not do the departure angle any good, but should be better than the normal towbar.

I have to modify the rear bumper to make it fir over the winch, but my hopes is to test it this weekend.

1325347481_0.jpg

(sorry for poor picture quality)

I managed to get my winch working sometime after midnight on friday. We was to leave ~8 am the next morning. I slept until ~9 :)

Looks ok from behind

FILE0007.JPG

The winch sits a bit outside the bumper, which by the way is a standard bumper, with some reinforcement.

FILE0010.JPG

More pictures here

• 4 weeks later...

On EBay you can buy a rear winch cradle that mounts into the square where your tow ball slides into, when not in use you simply stow it into the rear lugage space. I hired a 12000 lb unit for my recent trip into the Australian desert. Using a spare 12volt battery it worked great as all the electrics and control box were part of the kit as a box mounted on top of the winch but as a long term casual install it would need some serious wiring from the secondry battery under the bonnet to the rear of the vehicle along with a large connector. To use it the spare wheel needed to be removed, other than that it was great.

On my trip into the Australian Desert country I borrowed a unit that had a 12000lb winch in a cradle that slipped into the square tow bar tube. It was able to clear the spare tyre but didnt pass scrutiny of a highway patrol Constable Plod as it protruded beyond the rear bumber, even so it only took a minute of so to fit and when I needed to use it I ran it off a spare 12 volt battery. The cradles are available on EBay should you consider this to be an alternative. It would be a breeze in a Defender with rear fitted batteries, on a Disco very heavy duty cables would be required unless you fitted an Odessy style battery under the vehicle and close to the rear.

• 4 months later...

On my trip into the Australian Desert country I borrowed a unit that had a 12000lb winch in a cradle that slipped into the square tow bar tube. It was able to clear the spare tyre but didnt pass scrutiny of a highway patrol Constable Plod as it protruded beyond the rear bumber, even so it only took a minute of so to fit and when I needed to use it I ran it off a spare 12 volt battery. The cradles are available on EBay should you consider this to be an alternative. It would be a breeze in a Defender with rear fitted batteries, on a Disco very heavy duty cables would be required unless you fitted an Odessy style battery under the vehicle and close to the rear.

I quite like that idea as I could mount a front towball as well, then I'd have winchinch capapbility front and rear depending on the situation. Could yoy get away with an anderson connectore at the fron, and a really long extension lead to the rear?

I guess that set-up would allow the winch to be shared amongst friends as well. Sounds like a cost effective option.