200 tdi auto gearbox conversion options?

Ian M

ive got a 200tdi discovery engine fitted in my 90, running the original lt77 gearbox and the original transfer box?

is it possible to convert it to auto box? if so what is needed and from what vehicle?

has anyone on here carried out this conversion before?

ive had a search of the boards but turned anything up?

Ian

I converted my 110 td to 200 tdi and auto. I used a modified v8 zf 4 speed and an m&d conversion plate. This does away with the need for the proper tdi auto back plate and box. I picked the bits up second hand. I don't know if they still produce them anymore, now that there are a lot of scrap Discos about.

If you don't want to end up spending loads of money and huge aggro, find a 200 auto disco and you'll have nearly all the bits you need. I had to source all sorts of odd bits.

The transmission on mine is about 4" longer than the manual so i had to re-drill the gear box mounting holes in the chassis. The n/s v8 auto box mount needed modifying as the v8 sits central in the chassis and the 4 pots are all offset to the n/s. Proper Disco bits should drop straight in, although i don't know if the Disco auto box is the same length so you may still have to move the transmission back.

On a 110 the x member behind the seat box needed modifying as well, as the trans' is further back you can't get the h/brake drum off otherwise. I think you should be OK on a 90 though, even if the the trans' does have to go back.

Lots of faffing about mix n match on the hi/lo-diff lock linkage as well.

Lt 77 tunnel needs modifying, i got a 380 tunnel but that wouldn't fit either.

I moved my rad back an inch or so at the bottom to get the standard oil cooler in without removing the bonnet landing panel supports.

Had to get the front prop lengthened and the rear shortened.

I also made up a new centre console to house the auto selector using an 07 defender cubby tray.

Doable, yes. Time consuming, very.

If you're interested i could get some pics up of mine. Well actually i couldn't, I'm a numpty with computers! but when one of my kids comes round I'm sure they could.

Les thats not really helping!

i looked into this 12mths ago - 300tdi and auto straight seemed the easiest way of doing it, and ££££ for that therefore mean't i didn't!

James,

What you just said is what I meant with the 200Tdi !, just trying to get all the bits seperatly was just not happening and it was going to takes ages, as well as ££££££'s

I'd go the 300 route as suggested IF I was to go that way ;)

the auto backplate for the 200TDI is available from L/R as a Classic part

Les Brock was looking into this

may be drop him a PM

Tony, its unlikely unless things have changed. They may list the parts but getting hold of them can be problematic. When I did my conversion there was an unreliable source of 300 tdi backplates from Land Rover at a quite eye watering price (~ £300 IIRC).

IMHO unless you must keep your engine (ie you have something like a 2.8tgv or recently rebuilt Tdi) then I'd swap out the engine+gearbox complete from a donor vehicle and sell on the old ones. There is a remarkable number of bits needed for an auto conversion (a list several sides of A4 long) and getting it complete saves a lot of time and money!