Towing a defender to trials etc?

What's the prefered option - do I need to start saving for a trailer capable of handling the weight of a 90 or can aa a frame be used?

I won't be towing very often, couple or three times a year to and from my land, but it's 3 hrs drive away, and will tow it behind my 110.

It isn't mot'd and or taxed so technically not raod legal either.

Thanks, Steve

id say a tow frame would be illegal as your 'untaxed un-road worthy'(in the eyes of the law) vehicle would be traveling on the road but im sure an adult will be along soonish to enlight both you and me. lol id say pay the money on the trailer rather than the fine...

andy

A frame wouldn't be legal as your towed vehicle isn't road legal & the towing vehicle won't have the required weight advantage & the towed vehicle must have operable brakes from the towing vehicle

to use a A frame device the towed vehicle must be taxed/insured/mot'd.

[note the big camper vans & the small cars they can tow on a A frame often seen on the roads]

a trailer is the way to go to stay within the UK road laws.

Illegal; because when you add an A-frame to a vehicle it becomes a trailer. That means 4 wheel, auto reverse brakes are needed on the trailer. An A-frame (or a spec-lift) is an acceptable method of recovering a vehicle a short distance to a place of safety, which is how AA or RAC get away with it.

You need a proper trailer, correctly rated for the job, in order to remain legal. ...and you need to restrain the vehicle properly on the trailer too; a ratchet strap over the top is NOT enough. Ideally 4 straps, either connected to the chassis or with proper wheel straps to the wheels. I see some terrible accidents just waiting to happen as I watch the cars turn up on trailers to the Pay and play I marshal. :(

Chris

Haven't seen a AA or RAC van use a A frame device for a long time, they seem to have gone back to a straight towing pole or the on board tow dolly.

I looked at an AA van at Driffield. The towing dolly is an art in engineering. All singing dancing thing with brakes and steering. I initially asked what the big red box was on the tow bar. He kindly shewed me the whole thing.....Aparently the AA are the only ones to have this device.

mike