Diesel fuel lines

Gazzar

The 2286 diesel fuel system has the usual complement of fuel lines for a diesel, there are however two lines I don't quite understand.

The first:

From the fuel lift pump to the bottom on the distribution pump (unfiltered!)

From the bulkhead injector spill (return) line to the fuel filter, in addition to the return to the tank.

What do these lines do? Just curious.

G.

Fuel is fed in through the top via an internal regulating valve. The bottom is referred-to as the back-leakage connection.

Les.

Cheers Les,

So, does the Back Leakage connection on the Injection Pump take fuel from the IP that was used to lubricate the IP back to the pump? If so it would be filtered diesel, so that's ok then. I understand that - thanks.

As for the second spill return, why does it go to the filter (unfiltered side) and the tank? Is the idea to heat the fuel in the filter a bit? I can kinda understant that, though I thought heating dinodiesel wasn't a good idea.

Gary.

The two fuel lines to the pump are a loop, but I would say it goes back to the filter - rather than the tank as the inevitable metal particles that are in it will need to be filtered out. Unnused fuel from the injectors go back along the spill rail and to the filter - where it may get used in the engine - especially at higher revs. Any unused fuel will go back down the second pipe to the tank.

Les.

The two fuel lines to the pump are a loop, but I would say it goes back to the filter - rather than the tank as the inevitable metal particles that are in it will need to be filtered out. Unnused fuel from the injectors go back along the spill rail and to the filter - where it may get used in the engine - especially at higher revs. Any unused fuel will go back down the second pipe to the tank.

Les.

Hi Les,

I've just been looking at the pipes - the feed to the bottom of the IP and to the filter are on the same banjo at the lift pump. Thus are at the same pressure as the filtered feed to the top of the IP.

The Spill/return pipes to the tank and filter are on the same fitting on the 4th (bellhousing) injector.

I just hope we've not fitted them wrong! It agrees with the parts manual though.

I donno - it just looks over complicated to me. Typical land rover - only company that took over 100 components to hang an exaust pipe in 1981.

G.

Talking about complication - what about the Series accelerator linkages - countless buts of varying quality (some very nice with bronze bearings - some not) which could have been replaced by a cable with one adjustment point only - and all those nuts and bolts that can only be accessed with an open ended spanner - which must be the slowest tool to be used when making the things.

Talking about complication - what about the Series accelerator linkages - countless buts of varying quality (some very nice with bronze bearings - some not) which could have been replaced by a cable with one adjustment point only - and all those nuts and bolts that can only be accessed with an open ended spanner - which must be the slowest tool to be used when making the things.

Cables break :angry: , rods may wear, but you can bend them again and get home, that's Land Rovering :rolleyes: