LR Australian rules..? shipping cost and regulations

chrisp

We are possibly moving to Australia

do we take our old 90 ?do we take our 2001 Volvo estate?

what is actual cost to ship? - are we mad?

are Australian regulations different to UK?

any experience welcome

Chrisp

Guest WALFY

any experience welcome

Chrisp

I have heard it's about 2K for a container. Not sure for definite. Why not sell both and buy over there? How far does the pound go nowadays?

any experience welcome

Chrisp

I will be keeping a very close eye on this thread as i too have had enough of this country, I am afraid to say.

And with my trade (electrician) being second on Australia's Wanted list Its easy pickings for me :i-m_so_happy:

Can virtually swap my 4bed semi single garaged house here for a 3 bed double storey house on a 700sq M plot with double garage :rolleyes: over there

I have spoken with reads90 aswell as a friend who moved more recently about this already too and think you are looking at around £1200 for a container.

Dropped off at your UK address you load up then pick up at docks or can be delivered to new address. Insurance is 3% of value of container.

As for the vehicles think they have to be inspected and pass of course the Oz MOT plus the import tax/duty on it (thats on my research list for tonight!)

There is also strict guidlines on the sale of vehicles once they have been imported (so you canny make any big profits)

I,m sure Ali will be along soon as Nige says to correect me and fill in the other blanks.

Where you thinking about chrisp?

We are looking around the Beenleigh area just south of brisbane, as i,m informed ther is a bit of a boom in the Queensland area at the moment so plenty of work about.

Good luck

Dougie ;)

EDITED Think we need to start here chrisp clicky

OK done it......

What you paid for the car (+ any mods you have paid for not counting service items) less 5% 1st year and further 1% for each year of owenrship to max of 76%

eg:

£5000 inc mods is the value of my disco =

$10000 exchange rate at time of shipping

customs value is 40% of this>>>>>>

Customs value = $4000

Customs duty @ 10% =$400 PAYABLE

Plus international transport and insurance $150

Value of the taxable importation (VOTI) $4550

GST (10%) $455 PAYABLE

Total = $855 (£400) not bad when you look at the cost of them over there!

However there is also strict guidlines on the

The Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service inspects all vehicles on arrival and requires them to be properly cleaned. This is usually affected by steam cleaning. You should remove all soil and any other matter from your vehicle (including the underside) prior to its exportation to Australia. :o

I also belive they charge a obscene amount if your truck is not immaculate and they have to do the cleaning!!!

HTH

this is based on a cars with a value of less than $57009

Dougie ;)

Guest WALFY

I think you'll find that no matter how well you clean the car it won't meet the standards :( . No matter how well you clean it, if you look realy hard you will always find a bit of dirt tucked up in a corner or crevice. (crevice is not a dirty word :rolleyes: )

Guest diesel_jim
I think you'll find that no matter how well you clean the car it won't meet the standards :( . No matter how well you clean it, if you look realy hard you will always find a bit of dirt tucked up in a corner or crevice. (crevice is not a dirty word :rolleyes: )

/schoolboy snigger/..... He said "crevice"..... :ph34r::ph34r:

Well as the proud owner of a brand spanky new Australian Visa (came on Thursday) I just feel I should chime in :)

I think you numbers are off dougster, get along to british expats forum and do some searching there.

Ali has certainly shipped his 90 over but it comes down to what you want to do, I think if you asked he might say that a 90 isn't great for the touring and a disco would be better.

I've scrapped taking over any motors for a number of reasons, but none of them are due to cost really.

I was quoted £2.5k for a container (20ft) to ship house items over and £3.5k (bumping to a 40ft) if we took the car. Every shipping agent came out the same at the emmi fair went to.

Well as the proud owner of a brand spanky new Australian Visa (came on Thursday) I just feel I should chime in :)

I think you numbers are off dougster, get along to british expats forum and do some searching there.

Ali has certainly shipped his 90 over but it comes down to what you want to do, I think if you asked he might say that a 90 isn't great for the touring and a disco would be better.

I've scrapped taking over any motors for a number of reasons, but none of them are due to cost really.

I was quoted £2.5k for a container (20ft) to ship house items over and £3.5k (bumping to a 40ft) if we took the car. Every shipping agent came out the same at the emmi fair went to.

What are you reasons for not taking the motor steve if you dont mind me asking? :unsure:

You are obviously alot further down the process than me, the figues i used earlier where from THIS Oz government website!!

I accept that i may have missed some things out and am very open to criticism and opinions and best of all experience, so all advice will be inwardly digested.

The £1200 i quoted for the container was what my mate paid exactly 12mths ago, but i accept that i am not sure of the size of this as he only took household items!

Dougie

When i did mine a couple of years ago

The container which the car came in ,cost £2000 and that was with all my furniture. The bigest cost on top of that was for insurance which s 3% of totl vaule of whats inside of the containers.

You need to get forms for import of the car from Cambera before a shipping company will even load the car. Pretty easy to do and takes about 6 weeks to get these forms . (from start to finish)

Personal bring the 90 easy to do and worth a fortune out here (my 1995 300 90 is worth about $25,000 here) , but leave the volvo behind plenty over here with out rust and not worth alot here anyway

As said the customes charge you their cut when the car gets here . If you read the customs web site it can be really confusing but it is realy easy to do . Custom charge you what you bought the car for If under three years ago then they charge you the tax on that price but over three years they take a bit of for depriaction . The charge (as already said ) 10% import duty and 10% GST (Aussie Vat)

BUT we worked out it would cost us $7500 in tax for our 90 , but when we got to the docks the customs said they are not doing it that way . instead they will get it valued . They came back with a valueation of $7000 for the car. So the tax cost us $1400 in total.

The car will go to customs they will get it valued and do what they need to do then it will go to Aquis (quarrentine) who will charge you to clean the car (99.9999% of cars get cleaned ) and this will cost you $450 each item. So as a side thing if you move here don't bring lawn mowers cheap bikes or anything like that or they will charge you $450 to clean each thing :blink: . Once Aquis have done their thing it will go back to Customs who will want your money and then let you pick it up . Contry to know it all's on forum Customs have no control on what car you bring in or what modications it has, they just want your money.

Once you have it out of the docks you need to get the inspected by an motor inspector who will give it a modication plate and import plate for the car. This worried me for years before importing as if they say you have to change it you have to or the car will never end up on the road . When it came to it the chap came round and i paid him the $250 he then checked the chassis numebr and engine number, the seat belts were saftey ones and the glass in the car was car glass and had the kyte mark, and that was it 5 mins later all done. But again if you belive some of the Aussie foeums they will tell you everything has to be ADR (australian Design regulation) but that is wrong. A chap on the devon forum bought a 90 into Queensland about 3 months ago and i helped him . He had read a forum that told him he had to take off the extra the stuff on his car to get it on the road , as it had a devon front bumper with warn 8274 and a rear winch carrier and external safty devices cage nad a few other toys. I told him to put it in for the test as it will be alright and any way for the $250 they will tell you what is not and you can then take it off. He did in the end do that and it pased with full colours with all the extras. The problem i have found on some of the forums is they follow the law to the last letter and beyond sometimes and get confused. Surprises me really that they follow the law so closely as they are desendedfrom criminals :lol:

Next you need CTP insurance (thrid party insurance that is part of your road tax) which you can get on the chassis number. This will mean you can drive it on the road to get a roadworthy (like mot but a joke compaird to MOT ). This will be about $270 a year for an imported 90

Once you have the roadworthy then you go and get your rego (tax) this is $208 a year for a 90 and your number plates and all done and laughing.

One thing i did and i would do if i were you and that os put a box of parts in the back of the 90 . Things like a new rear prop , wheel bearings , Stub axles, Cv's and a new fuel tank if your once is looking a bit dodgy. All of this depends on what 90 you have as the only 90's sold in aus were the TD5 ones from 2003 to 2005 and that is it. So not many 90s around But a big demand for them

I live in Cleveland on the southside of brisbane not too far from Beenleigh about 10k's, but we are the water edge

Well i did the whole of Australia 25,000 miles in the 90 and lived in it for 7 months great car to do it in, but only if there are two of you . I do have a disco now but looking at swapping that for a 110. But will keep the 90 as a toy . But i think i have answered your question there

The 90's attract alot of attention here in Aus , after all i am going on a photo shot on thursday with Australian 4Wd monthly at Land Cruiser mountain park. Because they want to do a feature on the 90

And a pic of some really green grass and if we're lucky some rose tinted specs :P:P:P

:hysterical: Jealousy is a terrible thing :lol::lol:

Every time oil price in the world goes up and the price of diesel goes up a tiny bit here i think what you lot are paying and it cheers me up and puts a smile on my face :lol:

The container which the car came in ,cost £2000 and that was with all my furniture. The bigest cost on top of that was for insurance which s 3% of totl vaule of whats inside of the containers.

3% is very expensive for insurance. I ship stuff in here for a living (as well as having shipped a fair bit personally over the years) both from UK and South America and commercial marine cargo insurance is usually charged at 1% even for small consignments and irrespective of whether it is vehicles, personal effects or what have you - and there are definitely no economies of scale shipping stuff here - 3% is a ripoff! Maybe the main freight providers to Oz fix the prices so they all charge that but somebody is taking the mick charging 3% IMHO :o

:hysterical: Jealousy is a terrible thing :lol::lol:

Every time oil price in the world goes up and the price of diesel goes up a tiny bit here i think what you lot are paying and it cheers me up and puts a smile on my face :lol:

:D Nice one Ali

i too want this feeling thats why i,m stopping the moaning and going on about the state of our economy/nanny state/immigtration laws/weather/yob culture (there IS one)/guns & knife's/taxes/weather/lifestyle/cost of living etc etc etc

Now dont get me wrong i know australia is not crime free(it was spawned from criminals after all :P ) but its a damn site better off than here as far as i,m concered.

So its time for me to put things into action and take the plunge me thinks!!

Dougie

26_11_141.gifthrow another 26_11_31.gif and on that note............. i,m 320v1.gif

See you soon Ali ;)

:D Nice one Ali

i too want this feeling thats why i,m stopping the moaning and going on about the state of our economy/nanny state/immigtration laws/weather/yob culture (there IS one)/guns & knife's/taxes/weather/lifestyle/cost of living etc etc etc

Now dont get me wrong i know australia is not crime free(it was spawned from criminals after all :P ) but its a damn site better off than here as far as i,m concered.

So its time for me to put things into action and take the plunge me thinks!!

Dougie

26_11_141.gifthrow another 26_11_31.gif and on that note i,m 320v1.gif

See you soon Ali ;)

Well as i have siad a few times before

Every country has its own problems, Almost everywhere you have to pay tax and you think the goverment is an A**e

So you might as well go to one where the weather is fantasic and they love off roading :lol:

He says while sitting in front of the box after just finshed watching last sundays lastest top gear and about to start to watch the new seris of spooks :D

Well as i have siad a few times before

Every country has its own problems, Almost everywhere you have to pay tax and you think the goverment is an A**e

So you might as well go to one where the weather is fantasic and they love off roading :lol:

He says while sitting in front of the box after just finshed watching last sundays lastest top gear and about to start to watch the new seris of spooks :D

How does the cost's of general things compare Ali? like what you paying for :

Broadband..

mobile phone contract

Sky tv??? can i just take my dish an decoder and position them through 180 degrees? <_<

LR parts availabilty

electricity and gas

sorry just getting excited now have found a good ex pat site now too so i'll be bugging them after this!

regards

Dougie

How does the cost's of general things compare Ali? like what you paying for :

Broadband..

AU$29.00 a month (£12.60)

mobile phone contract

AU$78 (£33) a month inculding AU$500 of free calls (high useage taffif) wife on AU$30 (£13) contract a month

Sky tv??? can i just take my dish an decoder and position them through 180 degrees? <_<

Nah need a foxtel one same thing but sky plus is called IQ. Full package which is what i have with IQ is AU$115 (£50) a month. No tv lincese here in Australia

LR parts availabilty

Next day delevered all over australia Also about 5 land rover spealist in Brisbane

electricity and gas

Electric only as i have no heating , don't need it here in Brisbane , Electricy runs everything and the pool. Cost about AU$300 (£130) a Quarter

Rates

AU$1600 (£695) a year inculding water and sewage

sorry just getting excited now have found a good ex pat site now too so i'll be bugging them after this!

regards

Dougie

Thanks,

Broadband a bit dearer but the rest seem good/cheaper, that tied in with the similar wages and slighlty less cost of living has me SOLD on the idea.

Thanks again for your help, I must also apoligise to Chrisp for Hijacking this thread but like i said i,m really keen on this and hope it has answered a few of his queries too.

O and look forward to you showing me the off road routes sooner than you think!

Best Wishes

Dougie

The great outdoors is fine if you can afford to get out there to see it. With a seemingly never ending drought, we have and from now on will probably always have a mainly a resources based economy, and that's fine whilst the Chinese economy is booming. If their bubble bursts then I fear many of us will be up $hit creek without a paddle. As it is in the district I live in, due mainly to the increase in fuel, food and other basic living costs, an average of 12 families a week are unable to meet their mortgage payments and are losing their homes. I'm in no danger of that, but as the sole wage earner on $3200 PM plus $700 PM family benefit in a family of 3 with $1100 PM rent for a very ordinary 3 BR house, a $500 PM mortgage on a block of rural land that I'll probably never be able to sell in my lifetime, life is not all beer (who can afford that ?) and skittles. I haven't been able to afford to go 4 Wheel driving, even to my own land 40 minutes away for a couple of months.

Best not get started on crime and violence. If you're not handy with your fists you won't survive long in or outside many of the pubs and nightclubs in Melbourne after dark, and I've been burgled and had 6 complete parts vehicles stolen from my property just recently.Due to unsavory types about I'd never allow my 10 year old daughter to walk to and from school by herself, and we live in what would be regarded as a reasonably desirable middle class district .

Queensland,Brisbane ?Get real, Been there done that. Each to their own of course, but if i was given the choice of death or living the rest of my life in Brisbane, then oblivion sounds pretty attractive to me ;) .I wouldn't give the contents of my nose for the rest of Queensland south of Cairns either, but that's just me.If so many British expats give glowing reports on their experiences in OZ then the Immigration Department must have surgically fitted rose tinted glasses to each and every one of them. I guess by this post that I fit the stereotypical description of a''Winging Pom'' but I've lived here for 51years and have no desire to return to Blighty. i'm just telling it how I have and am living it as a middling battler in a middling suburb on a middling, or is that piddling? income.We have a Labor government in all states and Federally now, and our Prime Minister Mr Krud is a bit of a dud who like his British counterpart will probably lead the country down the path of financial ruin with his proposed emssions trading scheme in an effort to counter climate change.

Bill.

Seems like you have a pretty bad experience with crime and what not over there Bill :o

But what are your reasons for disliking QLD so much? i'd be interested in knowing.

What did they get off your car aswell mate? sounds like the broncs down there in melbourne!

As for not being able to go 4X4'ing i take it there is nothing local for you? Only even when i dont get this chance to get out in the disco here there is a little place on my way to work where i can get my 'mud fix' now and again :P

Dougie