Not the Normal insurance Questions!!

grenlane are public roads so your normal road insurance should be fine.

off road on private land won't or may not be covered

on road cover will be in-line with the current road insurance requirements currently in force, best to ask your insurance company for their explanation.

grenlane are public roads so your normal road insurance should be fine.

off road on private land won't or may not be covered

Having just been through this, some insurance companies do NOT cover you for greenlanes, even though they are part of the ROW network... some clause somewhere allows them to get away with it.

Also, if you use your vehicle off road, a lot of policies are void once you return to the road -they explained this as trying to crack down on fraud, i.e. smacking your motor on a tree, then driving to the highway and putting in a claim as if you did it on road. It sounds petty, but I suppose they have to keep their own interests at heart.

Having just been through this, some insurance companies do NOT cover you for greenlanes, even though they are part of the ROW network... some clause somewhere allows them to get away with it.

I'd like to know what that is then, given that they're legally public highway :huh: got any info as this could affect quite a few people!

3 or 4 (out of about 12 or so) separate insurance companies looked at the fact it's a 4x4, that it is modified and specifically asked if I will use it for greenlanes, telling me it won't be covered.

I didn't stop to ask any more details (maybe I should have :() as I was getting a bit fed up of being refused even a quotation :angry2:

The only reason I can think is that they see it as increasing the risk of damaging the vehicle and hence a claim.... but you are absolutely right, I didn't think there could be an exclusion for 'green lanes' as they are part of the public ROW network, they did mention that it has all been very much tightened up over the last 5 years with regards to off road vehicles.

something fishy involved with that one, my understanding was that an insurance policy issued in Europe must legally give you a minimum of third party cover throughout Europe - theres no exclusion as to which roads that covers providing they consitute a highway. If your insurance company doesnt specifically ask about greenlanes (which means you are not put in to the position of lying to them) then you should be covered - if the company asks then its in the position to decline your business. Methinks we need a legal bod's opinion :unsure: