Att SimonR

TJ101

Simon,,, presume your have had a south-west weekend !!!

driving a truck like your's, it's not easy to be missed,, :P

Down on friday,, running hot i belive :( !! on the A303

and back again this afternoon, in a group of 4, again A303

Hope the pictures will be on later !!!

Simon,,, presume your have had a south-west weekend !!!

driving a truck like your's, it's not easy to be missed,, :P

Down on friday,, running hot i belive :( !! on the A303

and back again this afternoon, in a group of 4, again A303

Hope the pictures will be on later !!!

There was a group of Land Rovers reported to me this morning, driving local lanes was that you Simon?

There was a group of Land Rovers reported to me this morning, driving local lanes was that you Simon?

That was probably us! Four of us, SimonR, myself and two non-forum members met up with Chris (GBMud) on Friday and laned our ways through East Devon down to Torquay for Friday night. Then on Saturday we headed down thru Dartmouth and across South Devon up to and around Totnes before heading back to Torquay again.

Today we headed back into East Devon for a few more lanes before heading back home.

Piccies and stories to follow from the others no doubt.

Good time had by all.

That was probably us! Four of us, SimonR, myself and two non-forum members met up with Chris (GBMud) on Friday and laned our ways through East Devon down to Torquay for Friday night. Then on Saturday we headed down thru Dartmouth and across South Devon up to and around Totnes before heading back to Torquay again.

Today we headed back into East Devon for a few more lanes before heading back home.

Piccies and stories to follow from the others no doubt.

Good time had by all.

High profile aren't we?

Chris

53382.jpg

It really is too, I quite fancy going back there with a good saw and a winch.

53383.jpg

My sea view, shame there was not a bit more sun - or a real roaring storm.

53384.jpg

Si on the Dartmouh ferry.

53385.jpg

RocKeR demonstrates that Range Rovers need extra care and only the finest fluids - he really was topping it up with Volvic all weekend..

53386.jpg

RocKeR in a ford.

53388.jpg

Nigel, non forum, enjoys the ford too.

A fine weekend, more pics later.

Chris

Stuck out like a sore thumb I dare say!

TJ - was that you flashing your lights on the A303? I spent the next couple of miles watching out for speed cameras!

Dave - we looked out for you as we passed through the shire.

As Chris said - A fine weekend!

Stuck out like a sore thumb I dare say!

TJ - was that you flashing your lights on the A303? I spent the next couple of miles watching out for speed cameras!

Yep, that was i, coming back from your direction, having collected a cage, Savage did say he saw you Friday, with a "overheating" problem !!

Shame i did not know you were coming over, would have paid the V8 petrol to Devon, in exchange for collection a couple of bits from Simon !! hey-ho

Know that view well, if you had been down a few weeks earlier Chris, you could have come for a sail !!!

I will make sure I tell you I am coming next time. :)

Re. the view, I love low season! Got a £75 room for £30. :)

Chris

I would have thought that our local lanes in this neck of the woods would have been a little tame ……….. there is certainly nothing that is technically difficult :D ………many of the byways are just narrow and overgrown, but many of the UCR’s will have been cut back during late October ;)

You also passed my door on your way through …………….. but this weedend I was mostly (and still am) fitting a cage :rolleyes:

Ian

Yep, that was i, coming back from your direction, having collected a cage, Savage did say he saw you Friday, with a "overheating" problem !!

Shame i did not know you were coming over, would have paid the V8 petrol to Devon, in exchange for collection a couple of bits from Simon !! hey-ho

Savage?

Sorry I didn't have time to say hi to him - I was on the phone - some inconsiderate chap wanted order some ARB's!

The V8 was just a bit low on water - thought I'd better stop before it started cooking.

If you need bitz, I'll happily send them with free delivery - save a whole sea of petrol!

Si

Yup, most of the lanes were quite tame but that was OK, we were there for the adventure, experience and scenery as much as anything else. There had been some rain too so the fact that most of the lanes were hard underfoot also saved damage. We managed to avoid these people who were also in the area with 200 motorbikes as well as cars. We declined to drive one lane as there was a huge washout in the centre of the lane and had to back out of another as it was clear that it was going to further destroy my roof. We also managed to completely avoid conflict with anyone which was nice.

I know I had a good time. :)

Chris

Savage?

Sorry I didn't have time to say hi to him - I was on the phone - some inconsiderate chap wanted order some ARB's!

The V8 was just a bit low on water - thought I'd better stop before it started cooking.

If you need bitz, I'll happily send them with free delivery - save a whole sea of petrol!

Si

Savage, is Mark (V8 hybrid, when its up and running !) ! the man in the Securior van !!, he mention he saw you on the Friday, as we were on the way to Sussex to collect a cage from Simon P

Bloody Hell - not only do you drive almost through my village but you were staying within spitting distance of where I work. :(

I could have showed you some 'less than tame' lanes as well. One or two that even Chris would have found a tadge technical

If you come down again let me know.

Bloody Hell - not only do you drive almost through my village but you were staying within spitting distance of where I work. :(

I could have showed you some 'less than tame' lanes as well. One or two that even Chris would have found a tadge technical

If you come down again let me know.

Will do! :) Thanks for the offer, might be sooner rather than later.

Cheers

Chris

There had been some rain too so the fact that most of the lanes were hard underfoot also saved damage. We managed to avoid these people who were also in the area with 200 motorbikes as well as cars. We declined to drive one lane as there was a huge washout in the centre of the lane and had to back out of another as it was clear that it was going to further destroy my roof. We also managed to completely avoid conflict with anyone which was nice.

I know I had a good time. :)

Chris

Evening Chris,

Glad you all had a good time. OK about the washout ……. yes, I know that lane (although it could be one of several) and its best to drop into the washout at an angle and then winch out……..there used to be a large pile of logs in the bottom of the washout to help peeps through……… there are one of two others that have massive washouts running with the lane….. mainly around Loddiswell and Aveton Gifford ;)

Like you say, the majority of the UCR’s down this way have rock / stone foundations so can be safely driven in all weathers.

Did you also bump into the TRF lads ?….. they are out most Sundays :lol:

Low branches …………… we normally carry 21 inch bowsaws as the locals in the South Hams seem to take exception to chain saws. The Council are OK with sensible trimming and as a precaution we always leave the trimmings at the side of the lane :rolleyes:

To be fair, we get very little conflict with the walkers / residents …… infact most of the walkers will stop / ask directions / and pass the time of day / scrounge lifts over the wet & muddy bits etc…… no a bad bunch at all. B)

Give me a shout next time you are down this way.

OK about the washout ……. yes, I know that lane (although it could be one of several) and its best to drop into the washout at an angle and then winch out……..there used to be a large pile of logs in the bottom of the washout to help peeps through……… there are one of two others that have massive washouts running with the lane….. mainly around Loddiswell and Aveton Gifford

Did you also bump into the TRF lads ?….. they are out most Sundays :lol:

Low branches …………… we normally carry 21 inch bowsaws as the locals in the South Hams seem to take exception to chain saws. The Council are OK with sensible trimming and as a precaution we always leave the trimmings at the side of the lane :rolleyes:

This washout was in the centre of a lane and, while we could have straddled it, it would only have taken one mistake by one car to make it into an afternoons recovery practice. We met a neighbouring landowner and he says that there are bikes up there most Sundays and that it is them that have caused the washout.

We did run into a couple of guys on bikes struggling up a lane near Dave Lovejoy's - well, one was pushing the other. :)

The branches on the lane in question were at and beyond the limit of what one could attempt with a bowsaw, some 6"+ thick and as far as I could see up the lane. It was easier and, more sensible to drive around as we were on our way home by then.

Chris

There's a little lane up the way from me that is privately owned. I know the land owner very well and he has given me permsion to drive it. Most is no problem, but the bit in the middle is a hoot. In a RR the back end will slide sideways into the stream in a gentle controlled glide, allowing you to lower the front end in on the winch. Same goes for a 110. In a 90 it gets a bit novel due to the shorter wheel base!

Or we could mosey down to Newton Poppleford and you could have ago at the UCR on the way to SAidford. The centre gulley is almost 18' deep on a 50 degree slope! After that it gets difficult... :lol:

Young Will Bowden and I had this idea to do with driving the old hill climb course down by Linton. The farmer at the top deliberately blocks the route with kit but we wondered about groups of three vehicles every fifteen minutes or so, all kncking at the farmhouse door... We could then go to the pub and crash on Will's floor - Simon could tell Lucy it was Will's idea AND explain to my wife that it was Will's fault.

Edited by honitonhobbit