metallic klicking noise?

Hello all,

We had an amazing trip to Fraser Island, with thanks to you lot on here the trip went smoothly after I received advice on how to put on new springs & shockers on the front of the 110, the 110 was a dream and negotiated the terrain very well, often very servere in places especially after a storm went through and turned the tracks to mush!

The only concern is that on several occasions there was a metallic ping type sound like something cracking,(coming from the drivers side front wheel) on investigation I could not see anything wrong anyone got any clues? This only happened on fairly bad tracks, under quite bad roll or when going down hill and hitting a pot hole, say when the front right wheel is pushed back under the 110.

Anyone any clues, I have yet to get the time to take the wheel off and have a good look!

Cheers Ted

I will post some pictures of the Island later.

Worn bushes make this sort of noise - the cracking is the inner sleeve of the bush moving against the arm/rod. Look for bright red/orange fresh localised rust around suspension and steering components - this is a good indicator of where the problem is. Check bottom shock absorber mounts although they are less likely to make the cracking sound. It's usually where an arm has to rotate a small amount in a bracket welded to the axle or chassis.

This picture is a good example of what to look for-

gallery_2_506_23671.jpg

Les.

Thanks Les, I did think of that, although I have changed all the bushes other than the panhard rod bushes, but from the outside they look good?

Its sounds to me as if the spring is some how moving, but I don't know how!!

Cheers ted

I'm on the trackl of thinking that I never did the shock nut & bushes up on the top of the shock mounting bracket & may be the cupped washer is moving?????? But it sounds louder than that could be if it moved!

Cheers Ted

as Les ^^^ says probably bushes although its worth checking the bottom mountings of the springs to ensure they are seated correctly plus is there any play in the wheel top to bottom or is the swivel leaking?

Yes the swivel has had a slight leak that seems to be slightly worse upon inspection(after getting back) ie some drips of oil on the inner tyre!

What could this mean?

Cheers ted

Ted, if it wasn't suspension or bushes i was thinking that it could be the swivel top or bottom bearings/bush. if they have collapsed/worn out the wheel will rock if you place your hands at the 12 and 6 positions (wheel off the ground) and wobble it. if there is excessive movement here it can cause the oil the leak out the back too. i had a 110 with this problem which was identified when off roading by aforementioned noise as you describe under similar conditions.

Or as Ralph says worn seal/pitted swivel.

HTH

I had the oppertunity to have a look at the area where the klicking noise was coming from, under some bad off road conditions the klicking was quite bad but the swivel is fine no movement pulling and pushing from 12-6 oclock and none for that matter from 9-3 oclock with the 110 obviously jacked up! :lol:

Everything else is fine, also I can't see anything other than on the driver side radius arm the two front bushes don't seem as central as the passenger side set, but these are new bushes recently put on, both sides!

I moved the spring around a bit just in case they were not sitting properly

Look at these:

post-3299-1217320064_thumb.jpg

post-3299-1217320105_thumb.jpg

The second one back from the front seems as if it could have rubbed or klicked on its bracket but I can't really tell!!!

What do they look like to you good or bad?

Cheers ted

The bracket has been crushed by the bolt which is causing the end of the arm to rub on the bent side of the bracket. The inner sleeve of the bush should prevent the bracket from being distorted by the bolt, so I would think that the bush is at fault. You could remove the bolt and put a washer or two in to compensate for the distance lost, but that might be awkward to do. Where did you get the bushes from?

Les.

The bracket has been crushed by the bolt which is causing the end of the arm to rub on the bent side of the bracket. The inner sleeve of the bush should prevent the bracket from being distorted by the bolt, so I would think that the bush is at fault. You could remove the bolt and put a washer or two in to compensate for the distance lost, but that might be awkward to do. Where did you get the bushes from?

Les.

Hello,

The bushes are from the local LR garage and are genuine LR bushes!

And no the 110 does not have trction control.

I will measure the distance of the passenger side bracket and see what the distance variation is!!

Good idea with the washers I might be able to do that, if theres any room to get washers in!

Hello,

The bushes are from the local LR garage and are genuine LR bushes!

And no the 110 does not have trction control.

I will measure the distance of the passenger side bracket and see what the distance variation is!!

Good idea with the washers I might be able to do that, if theres any room to get washers in!

Did you go up from Rainbow beach as the inland track was very bumpy when i went on it last :)

Ted where are you in Brissy

I can pop round and have a look at your truck.

Call me my mobile is 0429 333153

Ali

Did you fit after-market shock absorbers or standard ones. i ask because some after market ones have a bottom pin that is a bit too long and when the lower bush is compressed "in extremis" the pin can touch the axle casing. Have a look under the bottom pin and see if the paint on the axle is worn off. You need a good cm between the pin and the axle realistically. I have always ended up cutting a bit off the bottom of the shock pins.....