Shafts again...

Astro_Al

Ok, I know that choosing between different types of Rover halfshafts is like selecting whether to build your house out of marshmallows or wine gums, but... Following my hi-jack of a previous thread on axle selection, I need some 24 spline outer front stub shafts (with UJs).

P A Blanchards are quoting me about 20 quid for a non-genuine or 40 quid for a genuine shaft.

Including postage, the price for 2 genuine shafts will be about 100 quid. Seems a lot for a chocolate teapot?

Does anyone know which is better in terms of materials / treatment? Is there any tech out there on how these things are made? Are Rover genuine shafts just carp steel or likely to be better quality than the non-genuine ones?

Oh for a spline roller...

Cheers for any input. Al. :)

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Pattern stuff is absolutely hopless, with CVs if your going "Normal" ones then get a Brand stamped one GKN is about as good as you'll get or Hardy Spicers......

Basically "Genuine" LR ones are from a variety of sources they don't make them, so again 1 batch may be one copmapnies efforts, and another GKNs etc....

HTH

Nige

Oh for a spline roller...

It's not that expensive to get a CNC shop to machine an external spline in whatever you like.

Internal splines are more tricky - but not expensive if they have the tooling for that particular spline.

Si

It's not that expensive to get a CNC shop to machine an external spline in whatever you like.

Internal splines are more tricky - but not expensive if they have the tooling for that particular spline.

Si

Yeah. Like I say, 100 squids does seem a lot for standard carp (even if it's 24 spline). I can probably get the shaft itself done in maraging steel for reasonable cost - the problem then is the yokes for the UJ...

Jon - rears are easy in comparison... :(

Al.

Yeah. Like I say, 100 squids does seem a lot for standard carp (even if it's 24 spline). I can probably get the shaft itself done in maraging steel for reasonable cost - the problem then is the yokes for the UJ...

Jon - rears are easy in comparison... :(

Al.

What about shafts from something else - like a J<cough>eep - and get the ends re-machined to fit?

Si

If you want to spend a bit more money for a lot stronger shaft, get onto

Moser

http://www.moserengineering.com/moser_inte...customalloy.htm

http://www.moserengineering.com/moser_inte...customaxles.htm

or

Rovertracks

http://www.rovertracks.com/products/axles.html

Moser make all the Land Rover axles for rovertracks (which keith sells without markup I believe), so they can at least machine 24 spline axles. They usually use 1541H, which is not the most exotic material, but is quite strong, and is used by many manufacturers for good quality car and truck axles.

You can probably fit a Dana 44 UJ (and Dana 44 shafts resplines to LR size) into the Land Rover swivel, which is a lot bigger and stronger than the stock series UJ.

Edited by isuzurover