waterproofing my V8

kevinr

I'm applying to join my local 4x4 response team, and am looking to waterproof my V8. As I understand these engines really don't like the wet, so any pointers you can give me will be great.

I will be looking to add a snorkel later on, but for now, It's just the electrics and things I'm concerned with.

Thanks.

its easy to waterproof a v8 just remove the engine and fit a tdi lump i for one would not go back to petrol as even fast ford driving used to make her cough and splutter but i only greased things up and never really looked into doing it properly so im sure it can be done i was just lazy,i do miss the old girl though let us all know how you get on as im real interested in this

Megajolt!

Just fitted mine (I run on gas nearly all the time so didn't want the extra work of Megasquirt) - it started and ticked over beautifully (much better than it ever has before) and to celebrate I threw 2 litres of water all over the ignition and it (as expected) never faltered.

Simple, effective, waterproof. :)

Roger

The side benefits of a totally waterproof MegaSquirt or MegaJolt ignition shouldn't be forgotten :D

This is one of the best sparky pictures I have seen and I hope that 'FlashRS1998' on the AutosportLabs forum doesn't mind me linking to it...

jolt2.jpg

hmmm, the mega squirt idea looks awsome, but 2 issues with that

a) I'm not skilled enough to do it, either elctrically or mechanically..I can fix cars ok, just not redesign/modify engines.

b ) Lack of time..I use this car daily, so taking it off the road for several days at a time is a no go for me.

a) I'm not skilled enough to do it, either elctrically or mechanically..I can fix cars ok, just not redesign/modify engines.

You can always join the queue for my back garden ;) although there's no modifying or redesigning involved, it's basically just joining a few wires and bolting a bit to the crank pulley. You don't even need to worry about tuning it these days, there are maps for most Rover V8's out there available.

b ) Lack of time..I use this car daily, so taking it off the road for several days at a time is a no go for me.

My record is a couple of hours from running on Lucas to running on MegaSquirt, with a bit of prep beforehand (that can be done at leisure without affecting the current setup) you can swap very quickly.

Also, Nige was a total electrophobe when we finally persuaded him to go MS, and now look at him - he's beta testing tuning software that I haven't even played with yet! :o

is it really that simple fridge?where could i get this megasquirt thingy from and whats it going to cost me as i really miss the v8 power and want another for off roading.im getting all excited here like a kid on christmas eve,cant belive i aint heard about this before is it a new product out or have i had my head under the bonnet for to long?

Peasey - have a search, Nige's thread is a sort of best-example of a worst-case scenario as he started from scratch, with a fear of electrics, built a complete loom from scratch to very high quality almost entirely off his own back. The end result is a real credit, and also an absolute goldmine of information an explanation.

• 2 weeks later...
Also, Nige was a total electrophobe when we finally persuaded him to go MS, and now look at him - he's beta testing tuning software that I haven't even played with yet! :o

I am still a muppet when it comes to electrics - I need to concentrate so hard I can bring on a headache :P:lol:

oh

And its 'Alpha' Software actually :P, :lol:

the last .97 alpha TS Rel will apparently be the last before the beta release,

it has all sorts of tweaks in it, some of which have grasped some I am learning as I type :)

Nige