help needed africa trip

watson

hoping to drive to africa and back in the next couple of years,

so i need some advise from some advise from some experts, so is there any were to avoid, go, advise on fuel advise on prep anything is desperatly needed PLEASE

josh

o and is there anyone in africa that would like to meet and travel with us for a bit

There's also the Lonely Planet web site.

What do you actually want to know Josh ? I know everything :blink:

mike

well basically we need to know the laws, the politics how to get through borders without being aressted or shot, were should avoid like the plague and were we should go, how long it might take driving ages.

everything basically its only in the early parts of planning

thankyou

josh

My daughter is planning to do the same if she can find a co-driver.

She has been to Africa a couple of times and now wants to drive it in a Land Rover, I think she wants to go down the one side to the bottom then up the other.

when is she planning to do that

josh

Josh, what do you need to know exactly? I am preparing for my own LDN - CT expedition next year, and have tons of information on almost everything you need to know for just about anywhere in Africa.

If your not that fussed by going to Egypt, leave it out altogether. The cost of obtaining a Carnet, which might be your single biggest cost after the vehicle, and is 100% necessary, is 800% vehicle value in Egypt. For detailed Carnet info, see my article HERE.

Places to avoid are danger spots. If you are in the West of the Sahara, avoid straying over the border into Algeria. Chances of you coming back out will be slim.

The actual Western Sahara route (from southern Moroc to Mauritania) is 1500 miles of track littered with land mines. Can be driven, but has to be with a military convoy. Non-negotiable.

On the road from Northern Kenya to Ethiopia, anywhere North of Nanyuki, dont travel at night as the shifta bandits that come from Somali are prolific here.

Dont let stuff like this scare you though, this sort of stuff happens there, but the continent is simply stunning otherwise.

It is virtually impossible to say where to go, as Africa is varied, that each counrty is different, and has many beautiful places to see.

Oh, and dont think that Morocco/Tunisia etc, are a real African experience. Anywhere on the Mediterannean coast with Europe, you will be inundated with millions of Italians/Germans etc on their holidays.

Your time available to travel needs to figure very heavily in any planning (as much as financial planning) as if you only had a month, then you would be limited to 1 or 2 countries in the North (if you were driving) or South Africa & Botswana (if you were shipping you vehicle out).

Drop me a PM if you need something specific.

Martin

when is she planning to do that

josh

She went to Eastnor and Billing looking for info and earlier this year did Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya and I think Mozambique where she has really got the interest from but then she was back packing, now she wants to do it in a LR.

It will take a while for her to get things together and gain confidence, driving experience and most importantly, some one to go with.

I will mention this thread to her.

It certainly sounds appealing if you take out the potential dangers.

Your time available to travel needs to figure very heavily in any planning (as much as financial planning) as if you only had a month, then you would be limited to 1 or 2 countries in the North (if you were driving) or South Africa & Botswana (if you were shipping you vehicle out).

Martin

Any idea what shipping costs are. I guess its cheaper to drive down.

Shipping costs will be up on what we paid this year.

Last August Immingham to Walvis Baay £1,300 with port fees at about £250.

This February Walvis Baay to Immingham £1,100 with port fees the same at Walvis Baay.

The shipping costs will vary with the cost of the Dollar against the pound on the day of shipping.

The port fees will vary with the cost of the Namibian Dollar against the pound.

Oh yes. The car isn't insured in tha container.

The problem with driving down seems to be the middle bit of Africa. We've put things on hold for a few weeks because of Margarets illness.

You will of course need two passports to get all the Visa you need.

mike

For international vehicle shipping quotes see HERE.

Africa Overland is indeed ONE of the books you need to own. There is not one single book that will cover an extended trip through Africa.

You also need to be reading from 'Sahara Overland' by Chris Scott, 'Africa by Road' by Charlie Shackell & Iilya Bracht & obviously 'Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide' by Tom Sheppard.

It wont do any harm getting hold of a copy of 'Working in the Wild - Land Rovers Manual for Africa' or the 'RGS Expedition Guide' either.

Look around & you can pick up copies of all these books (with the exception of VDEG) from Amazon UK - New & Used, for a few £££'s

Martin

Is there any possibility of us all haveing a get together to talk about this ?

A camping weekend somewhere ???

I am certainly up for this Mike. I get a feeling that our Forum Expedition in the Peaks wont materialise, so am very, very much interested in an Africa Overlander meet. Maybe I could even do the Premier Inn room thing for us, as there wont be many at all.

Martin

I hope it does Mo. its just that there seems to have been a long period of inactivity. After all this time, we have narrowed it down to the Peaks, but no more specifically, and I STILL dont know what anyone wants me to do about getting rooms for us all.......

Mart

I hope it does Mo. its just that there seems to have been a long period of inactivity. After all this time, we have narrowed it down to the Peaks, but no more specifically, and I STILL dont know what anyone wants me to do about getting rooms for us all.......

Mart

Martin,

I got the impression from the peaks thread that the area to be visited would be dependent on accommodation availability and that we were waiting for you to come back with an idea of cost and availability for the rooms, once you'd completed your Pyrenees jaunt.

No one person is organising this trip and input is welcome from all particularly those who can organise accommodation for a largish group such as ours.

If it helps get a quote I imagine you'd be looking at a room per car for those who have expressed an interest in the Premier Inn. If the price is too high for most then we can locate other accommodation.

I'll copy this over to the Peaks thread too.

Mo

Guest WALFY
Josh, what do you need to know exactly? I am preparing for my own LDN - CT expedition next year, and have tons of information on almost everything you need to know for just about anywhere in Africa.

If your not that fussed by going to Egypt, leave it out altogether. The cost of obtaining a Carnet, which might be your single biggest cost after the vehicle, and is 100% necessary, is 800% vehicle value in Egypt. For detailed Carnet info, see my article HERE.

Places to avoid are danger spots. If you are in the West of the Sahara, avoid straying over the border into Algeria. Chances of you coming back out will be slim.

The actual Western Sahara route (from southern Moroc to Mauritania) is 1500 miles of track littered with land mines. Can be driven, but has to be with a military convoy. Non-negotiable.

On the road from Northern Kenya to Ethiopia, anywhere North of Nanyuki, dont travel at night as the shifta bandits that come from Somali are prolific here.

Dont let stuff like this scare you though, this sort of stuff happens there, but the continent is simply stunning otherwise.

It is virtually impossible to say where to go, as Africa is varied, that each counrty is different, and has many beautiful places to see.

Oh, and dont think that Morocco/Tunisia etc, are a real African experience. Anywhere on the Mediterannean coast with Europe, you will be inundated with millions of Italians/Germans etc on their holidays.

Martin

Martin

If you need any advice/training in how to deal with a mine strike then let me know. I can put together some usefull stuff to help you out. Mines is part of my job so I DO know what I'm talking about. And have practicle exp of what to do.

It won't make you a mines guru but will give you a working knowledge of how to deal with any situation and understand how they work

Feel free to PM or e-mail me

Guest WALFY

Which has no bearing on reality. The annoying bit is when they step on a mine and it clicks and when they step off it goes pop. Utter fantasy. :o

What!!! I thought stepping on a mine, waiting for the 'click' & then placing a handy brick on top as you run away, was how it was done.

Please dont tell me that when you fire a 9mm round into a cars door, the whole vehicle wont blow up?!

I'm only joking of course. I know thats how mines DONT work, but I would like to know how they DO work. As crossing the Western Sahara involves travelling with a military convoy, it probably wont be an issue, but it might be handy to know anyway. Forewarned is forearmed and all that.

Martin

Guest WALFY

There's no gaurentee that your guides know what to do either :o . Like you say forewarned is forarmed.

Trg/info is not a problem. Same for anyone else, f you need help with this sort of stuff feel free to ask. Mines are everywhere in the world :(