Brits roll in the Dakar

jules

Chris Hammond

Terry Banyard

Rolled out on the stage but there both ok and are still in the race. They lost a few panels but the Bowler looks sort of ok too.

the truck is silver not Oringe as in the BORC.

It was on Eurosport last night.

Chris Hammond

Terry Banyard

Rolled out on the stage but there both ok and are still in the race. They lost a few panels but the Bowler looks sort of ok too.

the truck is silver not Oringe as in the BORC.

It was on Eurosport last night.

was that the one you were going to buy jules.

Should be a bit cheaper now then :lol:

Yep thats the one well between his and Hue's red one.

Grate to see he's still in the race and pushing hard he was the fastest brit a few days ago.

Chris and Terry and very experianced racers in the UK and France over the years.

I still think its a sham that the UK press including the 4x4 press ignor the Dakar

Yep thats the one well between his and Hue's red one.

Grate to see he's still in the race and pushing hard he was the fastest brit a few days ago.

Chris and Terry and very experianced racers in the UK and France over the years.

I still think its a sham that the UK press including the 4x4 press ignor the Dakar

Ok just seen it on Aussie TV

Same program as you Jules but with differant comentry. They have just said that their race is over and they are not carring on

BTW miss the bloke who does it there. Who goes on about Bowlers all the time. Last year he was really funny

Carlton Kurby, he is good and funny.

Carlton said last night they were still in it but your Aus guy may have newer info.

Land Rover will never go back to the Dakar because they can't risk losing to Mitubushi there is too much at stake.

Land Rover won with a works entry in the 80's and have always said there is nothing left to prove.

The Mitubushi buget is around the 40m mark for the raid season I can't see Ford matching that can you.

Carlton Kurby, he is good and funny.

Carlton said last night they were still in it but your Aus guy may have newer info.

mmm will have to see :unsure:

BTW just sent you a parcel of stuff today. should get it in a week

And the 90 was taken into ARB for all the stuff to put on . Should take two days. get it back Saturday.mmm

Ali I got spare 05 Dakar DVD for do you have it if not I will post one over to you.

Oh thats rather nice of you

Still got those Land Rover Australia desk pads for you. (got a couple of spare pads for you too). And picked up Vics stuff from ARB today too so will send that off as well

The reason the UK off-road press 'ignore' the event is because they simply they can't afford to cover it. Like everything else on the Dakar, GPS hire, paying for fuel up front, use of the toilet facilities, to get a press pass, it costs mega bucks. You do get ferried around between stages in a helicopter though. :)

Simple economics rule it out for the majority of freelance journalists. You're looking at the thick end of a month to cover the event-to get one feature. You try sliding a £5k press pass onto an invoice... Those event reports you do see in UK mags tends to be from freelancers who work for the big teams in a PR capacity.

The cheapest way to cover it would be to hook up with a team. Kinda regret not taking up Drew Bowlers offer to drive his truck a couple of years ago :(

Kev

The cheapest way to cover it would be to hook up with a team. Kinda regret not taking up Drew Bowlers offer to drive his truck a couple of years ago :(

Kev

Yep I think I would be gutted to if I had not taken up a offer like that. I was suppose to drive support of Paul Green on the 05 Dakar but I could not gerante work on my return so I had to let it go I even saw the brand new Disco he had preped ready for the event.

Guest diesel_jim
The reason the UK off-road press 'ignore' the event is because they simply they can't afford to cover it. Like everything else on the Dakar, GPS hire, paying for fuel up front, use of the toilet facilities, to get a press pass, it costs mega bucks. You do get ferried around between stages in a helicopter though. :)

Simple economics rule it out for the majority of freelance journalists. You're looking at the thick end of a month to cover the event-to get one feature. You try sliding a £5k press pass onto an invoice... Those event reports you do see in UK mags tends to be from freelancers who work for the big teams in a PR capacity.

Kev

yeah... they're rather show cr@p like football,golf,snooker,did i mention football?

(thoughts: for the price of one footballers yearly wage, they could file the whole of the Dakar... B) )

mmm yeah Mark , arb around the corner ( and working on trade prices) and Maxi drive the same distance from me now as our houses were when i lived in the uk

I'll start taking bets on how long it'll be before Sue's 90 looks like your old one :lol:;)

BTW Ali, did you get the PM I sent you a while back?