Strange whining noise.....

Hi there,

Can anyone help me??

I have a 1989 defender with a nissan patrol engine in it which pulls and drives really well until.....

recently over 20mph i started to get a weird whining noise when driving, i checked the gearbox and transfer box, they both had loads of oil and are reasonably new reconditioned units.....

The car still drives really well, there is no difficulty in any gears in high or low ratio with difflock on or off.

Any suggestions?????? and is it something to worry about or will there be no harm done.....

Thanks

Grant

Hi there,

Can anyone help me??

I have a 1989 defender with a nissan patrol engine in it which pulls and drives really well until.....

recently over 20mph i started to get a weird whining noise when driving, i checked the gearbox and transfer box, they both had loads of oil and are reasonably new reconditioned units.....

The car still drives really well, there is no difficulty in any gears in high or low ratio with difflock on or off.

Any suggestions?????? and is it something to worry about or will there be no harm done.....

Thanks

Grant

Wheel bearings? do you notice the noise more when going around corners?

thanks guys, the noise is more precise than that, its a definate low whineing, groaning noise , all the time not necessarily on corners, however not a whistling noise, and when you have your foot on the clutch and your coasting there is no noise even at 30 mph or 40mph (if rolling downhill!!!!)it doesnt make a noise, so i am guessing clutch, however not 100% sure what component if it is the clutch and also not sure of a rememdy!!!

Quick fix is usually good :D

thanks guys, the noise is more precise than that, its a definate low whineing, groaning noise , all the time not necessarily on corners, however not a whistling noise, and when you have your foot on the clutch and your coasting there is no noise even at 30 mph or 40mph (if rolling downhill!!!!)it doesnt make a noise, so i am guessing clutch, however not 100% sure what component if it is the clutch and also not sure of a rememdy!!!

Quick fix is usually good :D

Hit it with a progressively bigger hammer.... usually works for me. I had no gauges working the other day, one well placed blow to the fuse box and hey presto.. I had Diesel again woohoo

I have a groaning noise coming from I think the front springs?? But I'm not sure, I'm ignoring it for the moment.

Hi there,

Can anyone help me??

Thanks

Grant

Has anybody got any more suggestiosns?? :o

Anyone??

I had a similar issue. It still isn't fully resolved but I'm starting to think it is the master cylinder; which is resulting in not fully engaging the clutch allowing it to slip. It has been worse on rainy days it seems (maybe the moisture in the air) but I understand you have a lot of those in England :). I have two posts. The first is my attempt to fix it and the second is my original post about the noise.

I've known thrust bearings to produce a similar noise before going kaput, mine however was in very good shape when it was replaced.

Here

and

Here

Hope this helps

We had a noise that we thought was the clutch bearing turned out to bethe bearing on the front ofthe transfer box, chexked it out by taking offthe front prop shaft and putting inthe diff lock, noise went away. Aren't Landies sweet when driving rear wheels only ;o)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

Can anyone help me??

Thanks

Grant

Grant

Have you tried listening in the engine bay and reving the engine. I had a horrible noise when I accelerated and got over 20mph which was mystifying me. When I lifted the bonnett and reved the engine I could hear it was coming from the engine bay somewhere. It was suggested to me that I remove the 300tdi serpintine belt and then start and rev the engine. Noise disappeared. It turned out to be a shot bearing on the alternator. It sounded much worse than that while i was driving though. Try it, it might be a quick fix.

Steven

Thanks everyone for the help!

In the end i found out when it went from whining to banging, grinding and clunking on a byway :(

it turned out to be the rear diff bearing had gone, and it was slowly getting worse and worse, so bad now that you can move the propshaft around in any direction so it has had it!

Hoping that it is the noise and its going to go away! :D

Thanks again everyone!

lol nice

I have numerous noises all clambering for my attention making it tough to work out what is what.

I think I have gearbox input shaft bearing gone as in neutral with the clutch in I get a rough grinding noise but with it out it is silent,

on top of that under a bit of power doing 30+ mph it sounds like a washer dancing around a spinning shaft if I back off and re-apply the power it goes away.

Oh and the grumbly noise that I think is the ns front wheel bearing

and the clonks from the diff backlash

and the clonk from the play in the rear t-box gear / gearbox shaft interface.

other than that sweet as a nut :P

Like you I expect a dramatic "bringing to my attention" moment ;)