Rear Hub Oil Seal leak

Need some info

Im down in wales 350miles from home and theres oil coming out of my rear hub, take it the oil seal has gone ,If I keep the diff topped up is it ok to get home then change or should I RAC it?

Im new to taking Landies to bits- any help would be great.

DPU

i jujst got back from a trip round wales 200miles away from home and foundmy seal had blown in a big way when i arrived there (you get see it flowing out).

Just kept it topped up for the next 4 days of offroading/laning and made sure it was ok for trip home. As long as theres oil in there, you should be ok till you get home to fix it.

ps, its great in wales isn't it

It could be the drive member gasket - check the bolts are still tight as they can work loose.

Les.

Les,

I have the same on the rear of my 1988 110, can you simply remove the bolts, pull out the drive member and replace the gasket without removing the wheel?

Thanks,

Tony

ditch the gaskets and use instant gasket - - it will not leak then. and its so much better.

althouth some people dis-agree with this practice, it works well and its never caused me any probs.

Les,

I have the same on the rear of my 1988 110, can you simply remove the bolts, pull out the drive member and replace the gasket without removing the wheel?

Thanks,

Tony

Les,

Thanks,

Tony

Yes, just like that but put it in gear, the diff lock in and chock the wheels first or the minute that half shaft comes out you'll have no hand brake ! I only did it once ...

Mo :)

Yes, just like that but put it in gear, the diff lock in and chock the wheels first or the minute that half shaft comes out you'll have no hand brake ! I only did it once ...

Mo :)

I did it once too --------------------------- :rolleyes:

& my nieghbours fence got killed :blink:

Check your breathers on the axle, often blockages here force the oil out the hub. Easy to remove then clean with some petrol. I had an oil leak like yours and did this first - no oil leak! Have since changed the bearings and seals, the seal was as good as new, just the build up of pressure in the axle causes oil to be expelled by easiest route. hope this helps, but probably too late...

Check your breathers on the axle, often blockages here force the oil out the hub. Easy to remove then clean with some petrol. I had an oil leak like yours and did this first - no oil leak! Have since changed the bearings and seals, the seal was as good as new, just the build up of pressure in the axle causes oil to be expelled by easiest route. hope this helps, but probably too late...